Is guided diving bad for developing skills?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which gets back to the issue I raised; are there very many out-of-state divers making long distance travel to California to do charter boat dives there, or is the large majority of the business drawn from divers in California or very near it, who go there in part because of proximity and convenience?

For comparison's sake, Florida has a large # of 'native' divers, and a large # of tourist divers. Particularly the Florida Keys is seen as a dive destination for the dive tourist.

I see so many dive trips being organized to head to Bonaire, Roatan and Key Largo. Are similar #'s across the U.S. organizing to go to California for diving, and I just missed it?

Richard.

Which gets back to the issue I raised; are there very many out-of-state divers making long distance travel to California to do charter boat dives there, or is the large majority of the business drawn from divers in California or very near it, who go there in part because of proximity and convenience?

For comparison's sake, Florida has a large # of 'native' divers, and a large # of tourist divers. Particularly the Florida Keys is seen as a dive destination for the dive tourist.

I see so many dive trips being organized to head to Bonaire, Roatan and Key Largo. Are similar #'s across the U.S. organizing to go to California for diving, and I just missed it?

Richard.

Most of the divers on our local CA boats are regular local divers. Out of 25-30 divers on a boat maybe one or two may be from far away, usually a diver visiting family or traveling to California for reasons other than diving. There are some groups that travel here from Las Vegas or Arizona. Others will come from northern or central California and sometimes Oregon or Washington. That's why our typical boats don't supply tanks or weights, because the vast majority of their business is from locals.

PS have to agree that the Peace boat is consistently at the top of local boats. If any non locals do come to SoCal to dive the Peace is a great choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom