Is horizontal position really better?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in "classic" horizontal your dive computer is below your body. It counts worst case, kid of.
If you stay vertical to your limit it can miscalculate NDL, as big part of your body will be below computer reading point.
In theory, at least. It is hard to imagine real issue because of that.

Why do people feel attacked when they can't hold horizontal trim?
And I believe that people frequently misinterpret proper trim and buoyancy as always having to be horizontal. Trim is individual, as long as you breathe in the middle of the lungs, and don't kick up silt or destroy corals, it's fine. After a lot of diving you should start leveling out either way IMHO.

in "classic" horizontal your dive computer is below your body. It counts worst case, kid of.
If you stay vertical to your limit it can miscalculate NDL, as big part of your body will be below computer reading point.
In theory, at least. It is hard to imagine real issue because of that.
See that on every dive. My Nerd, attached to my mouthpiece, consistently clears deco before my wrist-mounted Petrel computer.

Why do people feel attacked when they can't hold horizontal trim?
And I believe that people frequently misinterpret proper trim and buoyancy as always having to be horizontal. Trim is individual, as long as you breathe in the middle of the lungs, and don't kick up silt or destroy corals, it's fine. After a lot of diving you should start leveling out either way IMHO.
All you need is practice. And determination. And "good" divers around you to emulate.

Horizontal is the default position for diving. Sure, there's other attitudes to dive with when required, but default is horizontal. It's the one which is most streamlined, most comfortable, best for on & off gassing, most stable. But we've said that many times on here.

See that on every dive. My Nerd, attached to my mouthpiece, consistently clears deco before my wrist-mounted Petrel computer.

All you need is practice. And determination. And "good" divers around you to emulate.

Horizontal is the default position for diving. Sure, there's other attitudes to dive with when required, but default is horizontal. It's the one which is most streamlined, most comfortable, best for on & off gassing, most stable. But we've said that many times on here.
Usually when our club teaches classes, and when we take OWD and AOWD divers, there is at least one technical diver in the group. And when an beginner sees proper trim, their first reaction after a dive is, how do I do that.

And most of ones thay start diving regularly, develop good trim in. Month or two.

Novice recreational divers can assume an upright position in the water column whilst participating in a three-minute safety stop provided they have not lost both fins and their work of breathing is not affected. On the other hand, an inexperienced technical diver who has lost both fins would assume a horizontal position to coincide with the natural effect of water displacement and buoyancy force.

We solemn few offer sound advice while the rest are content to rack up reaction scores.

Novice recreational divers can assume an upright position in the water column whilst participating in a three-minute safety stop provided they have not lost both fins and their work of breathing is not affected. On the other hand, an inexperienced technical diver who has lost both fins would assume a horizontal position to coincide with the natural effect of water displacement and buoyancy force.

We solemn few offer sound advice while the rest are content to rack up reaction scores.
The bot has spoken.

It's funny is that I went through the formal process of reporting this days ago on the theory that no mod has noticed all of this talk. I haven't gotten a reply. Maybe it's just me.

It's funny is that I went through the formal process of reporting this days ago on the theory that no mod has noticed all of this talk. I haven't gotten a reply. Maybe it's just me.
I wish it would stop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom