Is Hydro Optix out of business?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm also having trouble reaching the company. While the front-facing and web-store websites are still up, the form submission website (*.biz) is not.

The only thing wrong with the site (aside from it being poorly designed for actually buying products) is that the SSL certificate for their order form has expired.

I didn't see any .biz domain involved.

flots.

I was doing some browsing on one of these masks to see if I would benefit from one. I too ran into the problem of getting someone on the phone. So, I sent an email. The owner/founder just called me back. He said they currently have no inventory because they had to switch companies that molds the plastic for the mask. The new company is not producing a quality product for them so they will continue to be out of stock until they can procure a quality product.

Hi. I am "new" to scubaboard and trying to figure some things out. If someone would respond to me by email (prglanville46@msn.com) I would appreciate it. I don't see anywhere on here to "click" that I want to be notified in my email that someone might have replied to this msg - where is that icon? I am VERY interested in Hydrooptix mask and have been for 2 yrs - and I just now decided to go ahead and buy one. I cannot speak for Jon Kranhouse, but I spoke with him yesterday on the phone. I don't think he will mind my saying this about what he said - he is having trouble with the manufacture of the lens and is waiting for a company to say "yes" they will be able to manufacture the lens. At this time they are completely out of stock but he really wants to be able to continue making the masks for sale. I don't want to say anything more than that. I am very impressed with Jon and how hard he works in different areas related to scuba diving and safety. I am searching trying to find ANYONE who has a mask stuck in their inventory - found one yest at scubatoys, but when I called it was an old page and mask was gone. Same thing at another big scuba on-line store. I have left msgs on several msgs here that show a mask for sale - but haven't received reply yet and the msgs are pretty old so I assume the thread hasn't been closed after the mask was sold or the seller died of old age....

---------- Post Merged at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:29 PM ----------

hi. Couple questions. Not sure if I even know enough to ask the right ones. It appears to me that they have two skirts - "S1" and "S3". S3 is for more "normal" face and S1 is more for people with short distance between upper lip and nose or for guys with mustaches - the skirt is narrow under the nose and supposedly fits above the mustache. Also there are two colors of skirts - gray/silver which supposedly forms better if you have deep wrinkles/laugh lines etc. and the black which a little stiffer or something.

So, which are yours? And what do you mean by "Crystal clear, crystal Blue and tech black." When I went to the link you provided, it didn't say anything about the colors you mention. Are you talking about the color of the shell or whatever it is called the the lens fits in and the skirt attaches to?

What about all the other things that come with new mask? The cover lens, the monocle, the case, the protective thingy that goes over the lens to protect from scratches, the lens holder that clips on BC shoulder strap, the retractor for the cover lens, etc?

Do you have any idea of what cost for shipping would be? And how long would it take - I hve dive trip planned for 11/4 and sure would like to get it for that. Paul prglanville46@msn.com

Well the time that I fear has finally come. I've been using this mask for over 3 years and loving it! Now that I'm back to get a new one, there's just none available. I tried buying directly from the website but I got this email instead:

Thank you for your order. Unfortunately, for the time being, we cannot fill
orders for 4.5DD lenses and your credit card has not been charged.
Qualifying a new molder to produce lenses that meet our high standards has
been a challenge. We hope to have fresh inventory by early Summer, 2013.
We will contact you at that time to ask if your are interested in ordering.

We greatly appreciate the global diver-to-diver communication that maintains
demand for our masks, despite economic turmoil. It is heartening to know
that our efforts to make diving more enjoyable and safer, via expansive and
optically accurate underwater vision, has been embraced by divers.

I stil have two of these masks in stock if anyone is interested in buying them. Please PM me for details.

mahalo,

Shaka Doug

I was trying to buy a replacement lens and I got "security certificate" warning and sent an email. Below is the response:
______

Thank you for the service provider update. We will speak to our provider.
Unfortunately, for the time being, we cannot fill orders for 4.5DD lenses or
masks. Qualifying a new molder to produce lenses that meet our high
standards has been a challenge. We hope to have fresh inventory toward late
2014. We will contact you at that time to ask if you are interested in
ordering.

We greatly appreciate the global diver-to-diver communication that maintains
demand for our masks, despite economic turmoil. It is heartening to know
that our efforts to make diving more enjoyable and safer, via expansive and
optically accurate underwater vision, has been embraced by divers.

We are still shipping MEGA Rx-1 custom ground flat prescription masks:
Diving Masks by HydroOptix -- Products -- Flat Rx Masks

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Best regards and safe diving,
Terri MacKay, Sales
HydroOptix LLC
FAX: (310) 459-5067

I am rooting for them, but the amount of time that has passed since the supply line ended is drastic. Drastic is never good. I love my hydro-optix, but the clear plastic lens basically disintagrated, crumbling around the screws. But, it lasted 2 years and I'd gladly buy a couple of replacement lenses to get my mask operational again.

I'm also having trouble reaching the company. While the front-facing and web-store websites are still up, the form submission website (*.biz) is not. Also, the large scuba web retailers all seem to list the mask as discontinued or sold-out, the company doesn't answer the phone - not even with VM or a recording, doesn't respond to web emails from their website, or answer any queries of any kind, the number for my nearest dealer is disconnected and I get no answer to web-email to them either.
Like A-Z, I wonder why Jon, "inventor and president" hasn't responded to any more posts in this thread since last September despite having posted several times elsewhere in the board as recently as this month.

With additional calls around the region (> 100 miles) I was able to find one dealer with one (pink) mask still in stock.
While I understand that businesses can run into difficulties, I can't imagine a valid reason to be completely incommunicado to the entire customer base.

Jon, how about letting us know what's happening?

Hi,
Really wanted to buy these type of Mask.
Can't find them anywhere to buy online.
The company website is terrible, and I am not sure if I should place order.
Tried emailing them, calling them, but no luck.
Anyone knows what's going on?!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom