Is Imodium AD Safe for Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No shame in saying it...I've often used this product first thing in the morning before a long dive day. One major concern though is proper hydration. So, make sure you drink plenty if you are takign this and diving despite what you might think about there already being to much "water" in your system.

SpyderTek

Immodium AD is kinda like my morning coffee. I take it a lot. I have problems with my stomach, and a lot of foods can get me very sick. I have taken Immodium before many dives because of not feeling well. I figure it is either take the Immodium, or sew a flap into the back of my wetsuit to make the warhammer manuever easier to perform.

The docs will be able to tell you if the active ingredients are considered unsafe for diving. I am in no way, shape or form a medical professional, I do have a question though.
What are you using the Immodium for? I had a nasty case of Montezuma's revenge in La Paz, Mexico (on our rest day before leaving--thank GOD!). The Immodium didn't even phase it, I was literally passing water after several hours, it looked pure enough to drink. Had some residual symptoms hanging around when I got home so I went to the doc and he said not to use anything to stop diarrhea that's been caused by something like that. He said the body is trying to rid itself of the "bug" and you shouldn't prevent it from doing so. It's a different story if it's a food aggravated intestinal/stomach problem like Big James mentioned

Just my .02!
Ber :bunny:

Well, I am pretty sure I am suffering from "giardia". Which I got from drinking the water in the Delaware river on a kyacking trip I took.

Immodium AD knocks out the symptoms for a day.

SpyderTek

Hi triggertravel,

Taken as directed, this medication is usually safe & effective, and should pose no problem for scuba. Just keep well hydrated.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Doc Vikingo is correct. this medication causes few or no side effects when taken as directed.

The comment above about knowing what the bug is and treating the cause of the diarrhea is also important.

The gentleman who had "explosive" diarrhea (yes, this is the usual medical term for severe or overwhelming diarrhea)
Would not be wise to dive, because he won't be able to stay hydrated (or concentrate on diving)

The old rule of thumb from my instructor (who trained me before med school) still holds. "Don't dive sick"

Minor diarrhea can be controlled with Imodium. Really bad diarrhea, or diarrhea with bad cramps, blood, fever, or serious weakness is a sign of more serious illness.

By the way, Giardia is common, but there are other possible bugs. Some are treatable with antibiotics and you will probably feel better sooner with the right medicine. Persistent diarrhea needs a visit with your doc.

May your bubbles not be brown,
John

Hi triggertravel,

Seems that your initial, very focussed inquiry has now expanded to general prevention & treatment issues.

If you are interested in this, I have a rather detailed article on the topic in the upcoming Apr '02 issue of "Undercurrent" http://www.undercurrent.org/.

In the meantime, you could read this from my March '00 "Ask RSD" column:

"1. "Do I need to worry about "La Turista"/"Montezuma's Revenge" in Cozumel?" Rich T., Clark, NJ.

Most travelers to Coz report no problem with diarrhea. If concerned, the first step is watching what you drink. Major hotels and restaurants use purified tap water and ice--if in doubt, ask. Many supply bottled water free, and it can be purchased almost anywhere--domestics are the best buy. For extra care, brush teeth/rinse toothbrushes with it. Bottled beverages are generally very safe, but avoid unpasteurized products. Lime or alcoholic spirits may make drinks tastier and more fun, but don't count on them for protection.

Watch what you eat: (1) avoid or work your way up to greasy, fatty and spicy foods, and items you are not used to; (2) eat only fruits and vegetables which have been peeled/ thoroughly washed, and best to stick with the well cooked; (3) things like steak tartare, ceviche and raw shellfish can be inviting trouble; and (4) pass on street vendors and places that appear unhygienic.

If you are susceptible to traveler's diarrhea, starting Pepto-Bismol several days before and throughout the trip can be quite helpful, although this compound may not be well tolerated by some (e.g., those who do not tolerate aspirin), should not used with certain other drugs, and is not intended for long term use.

Many physicians caution individuals against taking antibiotics preventively without a sound reason. If your diarrhea is caused by something other than a microorganism, or by one which is not targeted by or resistant to the antibiotic being taken, the drug simply make things worse. Antibiotics used to prevent and treat some types of diarrhea include Septra, Bactrim, Vibramycin, and Cipro. These are not medications to be used without physician consultation, even if some can be purchased in Mexico without a prescription. They can cause a severe or fatal allergic reaction, and some can cause sensitivity to the sun, sometimes extreme; special precautions need to be taken when using them.

If you are stricken, some experts recommend seeking medical attention if the diarrhea lasts more than two days, or is accompanied by fever, headache or bloody stool. Pepto-Bismol is also used for the treatment of diarrhea, although under a more aggressive regimen. Along with the antibiotics mentioned above, other medications given for the control of symptoms include Lomotil (prescription only in the US), and the over the counter product, Imodium, although they can cause complications in those with serious infections, and may even prolong the course of the illness while controlling some of the features. Prescription antidiarrheals are also not to be used without physician consultation.

Diarrhea by its very nature results in fluid loss, drugs like Lomotil and Imodium can be drying. Plus, many manufacturers recommend that water be taken liberally while on antibiotics. If you get ill, drink plenty of water & sports drinks, even more if taking medication.

It is a good idea to hold off on diving until your more troubling signs & symptoms have passed, and, if you are taking medications, until you can assess what side effects, if any, you are going to experience.

There is no reason to fear diarrhea on Coz given common sense measures. If you take any medications, understand their adverse effects and carefully follow directions. Should you be stricken on Coz, there is a clinic well versed in treating the disorder--your hotel can direct you."

Hopefully you found this informative.

DocVikingo

Back
Top Bottom