Is it necessary to get annual reg service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackSpearo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
We have an atomic b2 (actually a friends)that's due for it's second year complete breakdown service. The lds is quoting me 150$... Is it absolutely necessary to get it done? Even if I only dived maybe less than 20 dives since last years check up?

Thanks,
Jack

We have an atomic b2 (actually a friends)that's due for it's second year complete breakdown service. The lds is quoting me 150$... Is it absolutely necessary to get it done? Even if I only dived maybe less than 20 dives since last years check up?

Thanks,
Jack

Thats expensive! Atomic say 2 years/300 dives which ever comes first. I would find another dive shop.

I wouldn't blow off any service that the manufacturer of a piece of life-support equipment recommends/requires, but I do agree that the price that your LDS quoted you seems high. Call around and make sure that they aren't sticking it to you.

Another thing to remember is that skipping the required service voids some manufacturers' warranties. I don't have any experience with Atomic's policy though.

Jason

For that price buy a new reg...

If I was to pay for reg service its $15 per stage plus parts, so since I dont dive with an octo thats only about $30 labor plus about $50 in parts or $80 for 2 stages!! Those little parts kits rape you unless your on a free parts plan, then its affordable to pay someone to service regs.

However I dont service things until I have issues or every 2 years, "if it aint broke don't fix it" IMHO

T

My Scubapro regs tend to go 3 to 5 years (or more) between service but I only service them when inspection indicates a problem. I always carry at least 2 sets of regs to avoid any interruptions to diving. Your Atomics should be able to do that or better. $150 is excessive. I believe Scubatoys is an Atomic dealer. Give them a call and I'm sure you will get a much better deal on service when needed.

I do my own regs, I do them when they seem to start to need attention, because they get a little harder breathing or they bubble a little. The interval that I wind up actually replacing parts is more like four to five years, but I have to admit that I'm diddling with the IP much more often. It was my experience with having regulators worked on at many different LDSs that if a regulator was ever going to have a significant failure such as uncontrolable free-flow or no air delivery (very rare and only in older designs) it always occured shortly after servicing, so I said screw that, I'll pack my own chute thank you very much.

Jack,

my last T2 service, 1st, both 2nd's, all new parts was $60.

Ignore anybody talking about "life support." Talk to them when your pacemaker needs maintenance. That's a catch phrase dive shops use to get you to pay too much for regulators and regulator maintenance.

I get my Atomics serviced at Pan Aqua in Manhattan. I would imagine their overhead is in the stratosphere compared to any shop in South Carolina, yet they manage to charge me $80, if memory serves me. And what's this about last year's checkup? If it's two years old now it should be getting serviced for the first time. Find a new shop.

Ignore anybody talking about "life support." Talk to them when your pacemaker needs maintenance. That's a catch phrase dive shops use to get you to pay too much for regulators and regulator maintenance.

Yeah, what he said! Oh,wait a minute. . . he's talking about me. Oh well, I'm willing to bow out to superior experience on this matter by adding the disclaimer to my above post that I don't yet have the experience to comfortably work on my own gear. Maybe one day, but since the OP asked the question I am assuming that he is in the same boat with me.

OP, by all means, if you are qualified to service your own gear then do so. However, if you aren't then let the LDS handle it while you gain the training and experience necessary to do the work yourself.

I'll stand by my advice to shop around though because it does sound like your LDS is asking for much more than the job requires.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom