Is it necessary to get annual reg service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it is good to do annual check, ok the regulator seems fine (and probably is), seems clean (especially if you don't have too much dives with it and if you are conscientious with the cleaning).
But...
The water (fresh or salt) dry the regulator and put small particles on it. Open and clean the regulator each year can avoid to tighten it too much (and so scratch parts of it when the regulator is fit out of pieces), the regulator has new grease.
Also, when I use a regulator I want the optimal fit and so not wait to feel my second stage too hard to breath and so bring the regulator to the shop after my dive (it's too late). The seat damages by itself with the time so it's normal to fit it regularly.
It can be important too about the warranty.
About the price (in France) the regulator's companies want the price of the annual check is less than the third of the buying price.
You also can do some checks by yourself but it is important to learn how to do (and be sure you do well).

(sorry for my english)

Up to now, I've only owned two regulators in my life: An Aqua Lung Royal Aquamaster and an Aqua Lung Aquarius. Parts for the RAM could sometimes get a bit costly because of the nature of the RAM's design (hoses and such). But the Aquarius is extremely simple and the only parts that have ever been replaced were the O rings. Now, for the most part, I have serviced my regs my self but even if I were to take it to a LDS, I find it difficult to believe that there could be $60+ worth of parts inside, unless they are gold plated or something. What could a tech possibly have to replace that would be that much? A valve seat (maybe), a diaphragm (again maybe) and a few O rings?

BTW, I just bought a Conshelf XI and thanks to info I got here on SB, I have learned that the Conshelf first stage is virtually identical to that old RAM, so I'm good to go!

Sorry, on a working trip in Japan - headed to Malaysia and Indo next week. It is super cold up here... but no drysuit for me, thanks!!!

I use a Sherwood Magnum 2 primary that is over twelve years old, a Micra that is the same age. No problems for me because I maintain my gear like an anal retentive stooge. It works for what I do, so I like it, and it KEEPS ME ALIVE.

THALASSAMANIA!!! I am heading to the Big Island to do some blackwater diving for a film project, if you`d like to join please PM me. Gerrit Pang is a good buddy of mine, if you know of him... He`s an OWSI and we would love to have this debate, peacefully, on one of our dives...

also, those weight belt deaths were probably due to entanglements or accidental ditches, NOT SERVICING. Who services a weight belt? Be serious, we are talking about your breathing apparatus.

I was trying to point out that reg failures are a majority of equipment failure related fatalaties, at least in the years I cited. AND YES, it is not the regulator but what the diver does that determines the outcome of the problem. AS I SAID: What will you do when it fails at 110 Feet? it is all whether or not you have the wherewithal and experience to survive, and whehter or not your buddy is within reach. Why are we talking about McDonalds? NOT RELEVANT.

AS I SAID: What will you do when it fails at 110 Feet? it is all whether or not you have the wherewithal and experience to survive, and whehter or not your buddy is within reach.

Please provide at least one single documented case of a reg suddenly failing to produce air at depth due to lack of service, and a death or injury as a direct result of that. Until and unless you can do that, you're just blowing smoke.

Regulator failure, as rare as it is, almost always results in leaks and/or freeflows, allowing a reasonable safe diver the opportunity to get to the surface. DIVER BEHAVIOR AND JUDGMENT keeps divers alive, not some nonsense adherence to industry "standards" for annual service.

Please provide at least one single documented case of a reg suddenly failing to produce air at depth due to lack of service, and a death or injury as a direct result of that. Until and unless you can do that, you're just blowing smoke.

Regulator failure, as rare as it is, almost always results in leaks and/or freeflows, allowing a reasonable safe diver the opportunity to get to the surface. DIVER BEHAVIOR AND JUDGMENT keeps divers alive, not some nonsense adherence to industry "standards" for annual service.

Since detailed documented causes of serious scuba incidents due to equipment failure can be hard to find, perhaps hydropunk could just postulate the failure mode(s) and sequence of events that might be associated with such an incident. If we can get a set of reasonable postulated failures, we could then address how annual service might have prevented them.

I know of cases from the old days in which upstream first stages failed and cut off the diver's air supply and in which first stage problems resulted in IP hose failures with the old tilt valve second stages. None of the divers died, they either made a free ascent or their buddy helped out. These designs are no longer produced.

The cases of regulator failure that immediately spring to mind are those that occured post-annual service. Improperly installed retaining clip in a 1st stage; a demand lever in a 2nd stage falling off; high pressure seat failure after replacement; improperly installed 2nd stage diaphragm or exhaust valve; mouth piece falling off due to failure to replace zip tie after service; and various and sundry freeflows post-service.

Service will eventually be required, just like with any mechanical device. But annual overhaul for a normally functioning and properly cared-for regulator that is not showing any signs or symtoms? No thanks.

Best wishes.

I decided to not have it done for that price. I believe it will be okay for mini-season and later this year I'll get it done at some other place. I'm sorta burned out on this LDS anyways, they are ALWAYS pushing my fiance to buy buy buy new equipment, and it gets old fast. We paid for a private course for her, and they called us yesterday to tell us they wanted to throw her into a group class today because it would be good to work with other divers. I asked if her private instructor would he be there today, he told me no. Why not just tell me the truth, that HE is the one not gonna be there from the beginning, why try to trick her into taking the big class because he's skipping his appointment? anyways...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom