Is it normal to get your forearm all soaked after drysuit dive??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you think about it, even a VERY tight wrist seal will bridge over prominent tendons, just by the physics of how the elasticity works. One of the keys is to minimize the use of the hands. If your hands spend the whole dive relaxed and out in front of you, you don't put tension on the tendons, and you minimize the leak. If you swim with your hands, the seals just can't work properly.

Of course, if you're doing some kind of working dive or hunting lobsters, you don't have a choice.

fisherdvm:
The seals are brand new. I am going to try what someone suggested here - folding the seal like you do a neoprene neck seal. There is a little dampness under the exhaust valve, but not enough to explain the forearm.

New doesn't mean effective.

There are 4 or 5 different sizes of wrist (and neck) seals. Get one thats too big you could keep buying seals all year and not stop them leaking.

As for folding - it'll leak more.

The option option is drygloves (although i hate the things).

The easiest fix of all is to get the wrist seal a bit higher on the wrist almost to the forearm, where a) the diameter of the arm is a bit larger, and b) the contour is much smoother.

If the sleeve of the suit is long this isnt really possible. Plus it leaves more arm exposed to the cold.

stevead:
The easiest fix of all is to get the wrist seal a bit higher on the wrist almost to the forearm, where a) the diameter of the arm is a bit larger, and b) the contour is much smoother.

I think I might try that. Better a cold forearm, than a cold wet forearm and elbow. I have a glove that will fit inside the sleeve, and that will keep my forearm a little warmer.

I'm going to try that sponge band too someday, never know, it might work and I can get a patent for it!!

fisherdvm:
I think I might try that. Better a cold forearm, than a cold wet forearm and elbow. I have a glove that will fit inside the sleeve, and that will keep my forearm a little warmer.

I'm going to try that sponge band too someday, never know, it might work and I can get a patent for it!!

It's a little labor/money overkill but I've seen two suits with another seal (including the one at wrist) a few inches above into forearm area. One belonged to a gal with tiny grooved wrist, she needed to stay dry, and also needed to keep blood flowing. The two seal scenario worked for her, but hassle of making it happen (doff/don, glueing, etc) is a lot.

Hoa!

My drysuit has been perfectly dry for me every dive unless I screwed up somehow. Anytime that I get wet I can always find some little thing wrong with the seals that might be folded or something. But pulling the seals farther up the arm is a good idea, I always make sure mine are about one inch down my arm

Shallow Draft:
Your arm hair is to thick

So you are the peeping tom in my neighborhood, shame on you!!

Back
Top Bottom