Is it or is it not a trust me dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug:
More gray area:
I invite friends who are competent divers to dive Deception Pass with me. It is a dive that requires local knowledge of the current windows, the entry and exit point, timing and modifying factors such as boat traffic and weather conditions both current and forecast.

Is this a trust me dive?
For planning these aspects of the dive? Yes. As a non-local, I would have to trust your judgement on that.

Snowbear:
For planning these aspects of the dive? Yes. As a non-local, I would have to trust your judgement on that.

If I used my own jugement, but UP's local information, then that would not be a trust me dive as I would be able to verify "there is a three knot current running today" just by looking.

If I didnt know that a three knot current could rip off your mask and is impossible to swim against, then it is a trust me dive.

I think there is an aspect of verification of somebodys information or credentials.

How many of you out there have ever carded an instructor you have taken a course with?? If you didnt, then you are "trusting" that they are qualified and up to date to take you on a trust me dive..

OneBrightGator:
For me the line is if you didn't have your buddy, DM or Instructor with you could you complete the dive? If Yes, then it's not. If No, then it is.
Does this definition imply that most, but not necessarily all, instructional dives are trust me dives? If you're receiving instruction, then presumably you haven't done the type of dive before (e.g., deep, night, wreck).

Prior to the dive, you should have been briefed or discussed the necessary skills in the classroom, but until you do the dive, isn't it still a trust me situation?

Just to be clear, by definition, I would have to trust the instructor or else I wouldn't be receiving instruction from him/her.

Uncle Pug:
More gray area:
I invite friends who are competent divers to dive Deception Pass with me. It is a dive that requires local knowledge of the current windows, the entry and exit point, timing and modifying factors such as boat traffic and weather conditions both current and forecast.

Is this a trust me dive?

I wouldn't think of it as a trust me dive as long as I felt confident in my ability to lead the dive if I had too.

Every one on the team should be able to perform any function if needed right? If you are leading and you get your eyes poked out by a fish that thinks you're getting fresh then I'll have to lead you back.

Daryl Morse:
Does this definition imply that most, but not necessarily all, instructional dives are trust me dives? If you're receiving instruction, then presumably you haven't done the type of dive before (e.g., deep, night, wreck).

Prior to the dive, you should have been briefed or discussed the necessary skills in the classroom, but until you do the dive, isn't it still a trust me situation?

Just to be clear, by definition, I would have to trust the instructor or else I wouldn't be receiving instruction from him/her.

Each training dive should only be a baby step beyond your biggest, brightest, deepest ect to date and all skills needed for the dive should have been practiced in a familiar and controled environment. Given that there really isn't any reason that a training dive should be much of a trust me dive.

Many are but they shouldn't be and they sure don't need to be.

If I used my own jugement, but UP's local information, then that would not be a trust me dive as I would be able to verify "there is a three knot current running today" just by looking.

What if UP had given you erroneous information IE yes you can dive there, there is a bit current but its not bad, then you got swept away by a current I think you would have something to say to UP.

I would have to say yes if you don't know the waters and are relying on someone Else's information

Daryl Morse:

No, no matter how deep the dive is, they all start out on the surface at 0 ft., if at some point during the dive you don't feel confident that you could get yourself out of the situation then it's your responsibility to abort the dive. Like Mike said, it's baby steps.

Trusting an instructor's information, teaching and dive skills are one thing, trusting him to save your arse when the poop hits the fan is another.

OneBrightGator:
Trusting an instructor's information, teaching and dive skills are one thing, trusting him to save your arse when the poop hits the fan is another.

Surely if diving as a buddy/team or instructor/student one could reasonably expect the other to save your A if they could. If not we may as well all solo dive

That's true, I suppose it's better the other way around, you shouldn't trust an instructor so much that you get in a position where you couldn't save him instead of vice versa?

OneBrightGator:
That's true, I suppose it's better the other way around, you shouldn't trust an instructor so much that you get in a position where you couldn't save him instead of vice versa?
Now thats a better way of looking at it when talking about capabilities to complete the dives. If you instructor/buddy goes dead on you (for whatever reason) can you get yourself and them out of there? If you can then you would be either really lucky or in a situation you can handle - inside your comfort zone (not a trust me), if you cant then you are probably way over your head - this kind of role play goes through my head during dives in new places or with new activities, or new equipment or whatever it is.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom