Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not knowing how to swim is absolutely fine, as long as nothing ever goes wrong. Same goes for not having an octo. However, I for one would not take that bet.

I am a PADI SCUBA Instructor. For PADI you need to be able to pass a swim evaluation that includes a 10 minute float/tread.

My opinion is that if you seriously want to dive, then take some swim lessons. It will only benefit you in the future. If you don't know how to swim or swim effectively, you will put yourself and your buddy at risk each time you enter the water.

If you are not sure if SCUBA diving is for you, find a local dive shop and get into the pool for a Discover SCUBA Diving experience. You'll get to play around in the pool wearing equipment. If you love it, take some swim lessons.

You all do realize the op, with this first and only post, has not responded, even though the first reply asked the op a direct question (only 9 minutes after the op). Things have been pretty slow since the shark death fury calmed down; sure smells like a troll!

Also, this subject comes up enough that a search would answer the question.

Well, as I said, it's been slow and nobody mentioned it, so...

There are plenty of non-swimmers who go on dives. Some are even certified divers. The weakest minimum requirements are 300 yd snorkeling w/ mask & fins to become certified. There are definitely some instructors out there who would not verify that and so there are very likely a number of certified divers who can not even do that.

An intro, discover or resort dive does not have any swimming requirement to my knowledge. That would seem to indicate there are very likely many non-swimmers who have and do go on dives. Does the Scuba Diver cert require the swim and float?

I am of the opinion swimming is to diving like crawling is to running, but there are non-swimmers that go on dives.

Pulling from my NAUI materials...Of course, NAUI's standards are *minimums*, and instructors are encouraged to add to them at the instructor's discretion, provided the requirements are documented and explained before the course. You can't do a Columbo and say, "Ah, one more thing...", but you could require a 1-mile freestyle swim, as long as it's there in the pre-sign-up materials so the prospective students know about it.
The 15 cycles are not a test to be passed, they are what NAUI feels a competent instructor needs to decide upon a candidate's comfort in the water and readiness to learn to dive.

The 15 cycles are not a test to be passed, they are what NAUI feels a competent instructor needs to decide upon a candidate's comfort in the water and readiness to learn to dive.
That is correct, of course. The requirement is not to "complete 15 stroke cycles", but rather, "Demonstrate novice level swim stroke proficiency" (with all that involves and for all that produces).

No you can not in my opinion because diving requires going from point a to point b. I think if you try to make a diver out of a non-swimmer the person will pick up swimming in the process.

Swimming is easy. Weekend pool sessions should get you there.

Cheers,

You all do realize the op, with this first and only post, has not responded, even though the first reply asked the op a direct question (only 9 minutes after the op). Things have been pretty slow since the shark death fury calmed down; sure smells like a troll!

Also, this subject comes up enough that a search would answer the question.

I was just thinking this might be a troll.

If it isn't a troll though, since this is his first post he probably doesn't know how to use the search feature. It seems like common sense that if you see a search field you can enter a series of words in there to get your answer...but new members (and even some old ones) just can't seem to figure that out. I just saw yet another thread asking for dive op recommendations for Cozumel. :shakehead: If the mods got $1 for every thread about Cozumel dive ops...well they would be too wealthy to be moderating SB anymore.

Ok rant over

Of course you can scuba dive even though you cannot swim. I'll bet you can even become a divemaster, or a scuba website moderator. If the certifying agency asks for a demonstration of swimming ability, hire someone to impersonate you. Make sure this person can swim. After the initial certification, everything is a breeze, as long as you have money and a computer.

I'm very much interested to get open water certification. Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

You have to be a swimmer.

30 years ago I would have said no way. But today’s gear has become so reliable and user friendly it is a benefit to the non or poor swimmer.
Gary D.

I don't know. Reliability of gears is only as reliable as you are willing to check it. Even new gears have problems, especially after packing and a long flight. Simple things - failure to attach BC inflator hose, failure to check for proper BC inflator hose elbow attachment (after flying, many are opened by TSA, and some are not reattached properly or might even lose a seal), failure to check for dump valve function, failure to turn on your air before you jump in....

Add 3 to 5 ft waves, new or rental equipments, once or twice a year resort diving .... A non swimmer might panic and drown. A swimmer with rhythmic breathing ability might just do well enough to remember to dump their weight belt ... and manage things differently. I can remember several times that I've forgot to turn on my air... no problem... things are fine. If I can't swim well.... It might have been an accident ...

Back
Top Bottom