Is it possible for me to dive even though I don't know how to swim?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I did the test we had to be vertical. Not sure if this is a requirement though. I float really well (too well in fact, I need a lot of weight still!) so jumped in and lay on my back but was quickly corrected :p

Can you tell me what are the requirements as far as floating on the surface? I can float for a long period of time with no gear as long as I am on my back with belly up, or do I have to float on surface with head out of water in a vertical position?

The standards of NAUI, PADI and YMCA don't specify body position for the float. I doubt other agencies do either.

My guess is that whoever was working with him was not a sinker and didn't know how to make a sinker float.

As a fellow sinker (at least in my younger years), it was years before I ran into an instructor who understood the problem - and knew how to fix it.

It's actually a matter of changing your center of gravity. Most sinkers drop feet first when they try to float. To counterbalance the feet's drift to the bottom, you need to stretch your arms above your head and point your fingers toward the sky (out of the water), which pushes the top half of your body down and consequently rotates the bottom half up around the air filled lungs. It also helps if you bend your legs at the knees so your trunk is horizontal, with your fingers vertical and your calves vertical. I haven't found anyone who is comfortable in the water that it doesn't work for (and I taught swimming for years).

Another alternative is just to scull a bit.

Actually, the instructor working with this student is, himself, somewhat of a sinker. This student couldn't even stay afloat when sculling. In over a thousand students, we have NEVER had anyone like this that we couldn't teach to float. The student is working on it now and has been invited to return in two months if there is any improvement.

Phil Ellis

Sinkers have a greater body density! 80% of "Blacks" sink while 90% of "Whites" Float! Just a fact to consider in training and deal with as needed!

Where is your scientific documentation for this?

When I got certified mthe swim test was explained that it was an evaluation to see the individuals comfort in the water.

I was last and am a slow swimmer but I am very comfortable especially in mask and snorklw.

I am now working toward DM candidate.

Personally, the shop that i was certified through did not give me the option of using fins/snorkle/mask for my swimming test - I had to do the real deal. I am thankful for that now, because the test was of course before i had all of that equipment on. Sure lots of people can get certified without really knowing how to swim, but can any of you honestly say you would let this person be your buddy? Just getting used to everything tests your comfort levels alone - why add an even greater risk to yourself and others make it tougher. There is just too much going on when you are in the process of getting certified - so many new things to get used to. It is just too risky.

Be responsible - learn to swim before you try to learn to dive.

I'm really curious where this scuba guru gets his information. PADI REQUIRES that open water or junior open water dive candidates, PRIOR to certification, complete A). 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim and a 10 minute float WITHOUT USING ANY SWIM AIDS...or.......B). 300 metre/yard swim with mask, snorkle, fins and a 10 minute float WITHOUT USING ANY SWIM AIDS....further, IF confined water conditions require a student to wear a buoyant exposure suit, students MUST be weighted for neutral buoyancy. Note the requirements say SURFACE SWIM...that means NO UNDERWATER SWIMMING..some people swim better under water than on surface, but the requirements are in black and white. Make sure that before you consume what some on here write, that they have qualifications to even be posting "what they believe to be factual". This swim question should be answered by your local dive shop PROFESSIONALS...that means active instructors. As an instructor I do NOT pass those who cannot meet the agency requirements from swim thru skill assessment..PERIOD. New concept here...if you are NOT a dive professional, active in teaching, how bout we not give these people asking legit questions personal opinions when it involves the safety and well being of another human being. Conjecture is dangerous in scuba diving....so hence, the "guru" isn't really. YOU WILL NOT GET CERTIFIED PADI if you can't swim...period

Learn to swim first. Then take scuba. Your local YMCA might have swimming lessons. For that matter, they might have scuba lessons, too. The YMCA is the oldest of all the current certification agencies.

When performing the swim test, are you allow to wear swim goggles?

Back
Top Bottom