Is it possible to dive Indonesia on a budget? What are your recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nevek

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there,

My wife and I are planning next year's vacation and as of now we've narrowed it down to Indonesia because of the availability for surf, diving and food. I still have some research to do and I was hoping for some assistance on the diving side.

The dive liveaboards seem like an amazing experience. There is just no way we could afford $4k-$6k for one of those. Do you guys and gals have recommendations for places to stay and how to maximize the dollar to get a couple/few dives/freedives in? Are there any beach dives/freedives available?

My wife and I are experienced divers. For free diving I'm comfortable to about 50 feet and my wife to 30ft.

One word: Bali.

You can reach Bali economically from anywhere in the world. Bali is well developed, and full of people traveling on a budget. Once there, there are plenty of dive operations competing with each other for your money. If you can afford to fly on to another island, you could do a dive resort there, but that's when the costs start to add up--internal flights, resorts on remote islands, etc. A flight to Labuanbajo from Bali might be affordable, and there are some dive shops there that will take you on day trips to the Komodo area. Liveaboards are, of course, at least as expensive as remote resorts.

That said, you can find Indonesian liveaboards that are less expensive than the range you cite. @Dan_T might have some suggestions.

The internal flights seem pretty reasonable at first glance and definitely something I would be interested in to get away from the touristy areas and see the more remote areas. Bali is still on my list but it's quickly getting crowded out by Lombok/Sumba/Sumatra.

I'd be interested in the cheaper liveaboards. What I've found is the per night amounts aren't ridiculous, it's just you're stuck for 6-9 nights there and that's where it adds up. If I can spend a weekend at a resort or a cheaper accommodation and do day dive trips or my own beach dives that would save a lot of money.

I did a 5d/4n liveaboard on the Black Manta out of Labuanbajo not only because the shorter trip was less expensive but also because it was my first liveaboard, and I didn't want to commit to a full week.

Again, I think Dan is the man to give you some guidance on how to dive Indonesia economically.

Bali can be done for really reasonable costs. Komodo also can be done affordably on budget LOB or land based.
Budget operations in Lembeh are also an option if you like muck

Even Raja can be done for a reasonable price... There are more and more homestays connected to a dive center.

Also check Kira Kira liveaboard. It's a small, brand new budget phinisi. They used to go between Bali/Lombok and Komodo. Don't know what the deal is now. I think they changed to Komodo and Raja...

What is the budget?

To give an indication, you can get a basic but clean hotel room in Bali (Sanur) for about 15 USD/night, factor in 15 USD for 3 (good!) local meals for a day, another 10 USD for beers, and maybe 5-10 USD for a scooter or taxis. Same for Amed area, Gilis and Nusa Lembongan (imo best Bali diving), and probably Lombok.
Komodo (Labuan Bajo) tends to be a bit pricier than that as there is less of a supply of rooms. No experience yet with Raja, but as mentioned before more and more people are doing it on a budget.

All in all a trip to Indonesia is easy doable on a budget. As mentioned before, flights to Bali are usually not that expensive, neither is staying there. There is a good tourist infrastructure there, and once you're there you'll see enough local diving and travel options at a decent rate.

Last edited:
I'll be following....my wife's taking me to Indo for my BD next year....Komodo is high on my list.

I'm not so concerned with costs, but I would like to know which month for warmth and viz is best time to plan a trip?

Last edited:
Double post

I dove with Today (short name of Ketut Gede Somadhyana) DM / Tour guide of aqua cat bali, the best travel to scuba diving / dive / diving in Bali, Indonesia for the last 10 years. In fact this coming December, returning from 2 week trip of Raja Ampat, I plan to bring 5 of my dive buddies to dive & sightseeing there with the following itinerary for $630/diver:

2 December
2100: Arrive in DPS
2200: Check in hotel in Sanur-3nights

3 December
0700: Breakfast
08.00: Go to Nusa Penida 3xd. By boat.
1030: Dive 1
1200: Lunch
1330: Dive 2
1500: Go back to hotel
1800: Dinner in Jimbaran

4 December
0700: Breakfast
0800: Go to Adventure +1 tour
0900: Elephant Ride
1100: River Rafting
1300: Lunch
1400: Visit Ubud
1600: Visit Monkey Forest
1700: Dinner in Bebek Bengil
1800: Go back to hotel

5 December
0700: Breakfast & Checkout
0800: Go to Batu Bulan
0900: See Barong Dance
1000: Visit Kintamani
1100: Lunch
1200: Visit Besakih
1500: Visit Goa Gajah
1700: Pickup luggages
1800: Dinner Babi Guling
1900: Go to Airport
1930: Check in Singapore Airlines
2145: Take off to Singapore

If you are interested in going to Bali, just tell Today that I refer you to him & give you a good price.

If you want to do a good value of liveaboard diving for your money, check out Grand Komodo Liveaboard Diving Schedules, Prices, and Booking I went to Komodo with them twice & Raja Ampat twice, including staying in their Raja Ampat Dive Lodge.

Indonesia so far it is my best dive vacation value for my money relative to other places for the last 12 years I’ve been diving overseas (Caribbean, Galápagos, GBR, Mexico, Zanzibar). I’ll be in Red Sea next week, UAE & Indonesia in November, Palau in December, Cocos in September 2018, Maldives & Socorro in December 2018. I’ll report how their diving value (quality relative to cost) later.

Enjoy your dive vacation in Indonesia.

Cheers,
Dan

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom