Is it really possible to get certified in one day??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't see that this is possible, even if it were somehow desirable and sensible. In fact, PADI OW requires 4 dives and I think standards limit people to 3 training dives per day, so the dives alone take at least 2 days if I am correct. Perhaps an instructor can pipe in on this.

Someone will be along shortly to defend the idea.

-Mitch

PADI Scuba Diver is different that PADI OW.

From the PADI site

[h=3]PADI Scuba Diver Course[/h]
Short on time and long on the urge to become a certified diver? The PADI Scuba Diver certification might just be for you. This course requires less time than the PADI Open Water Diver course, covering only the first three of five sections of knowledge development, the first three of five pool sessions, and the first two of four open water training dives, resulting in a limited certification. Particularly if you expect to go scuba diving primarily in the company of a dive guide or if you have limited time to devote to scuba certification, consider becoming a PADI Scuba Diver.

Here's what the shop says on their website. Clearly it isn't an OW course.
[h=1]PADI Scuba Diver Course[/h]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Short on time and long on the urge to become a certified diver? The PADI Scuba Diver certification might just be for you. This course requires less time than the PADI [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Open Water Diver[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] course, covering only the first three of five sections of [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]knowledge development[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif], the first three of five pool sessions, and the first two of four open water training dives, resulting in a limited certification. Particularly if you expect to go scuba diving primarily in the company of a dive guide or if you have limited time to devote to scuba certification, consider becoming a PADI Scuba Diver.
[/FONT]

It is possible if you dont mind the restrictions that the SCUBA DIVER Certification places on you(havingi to dive with a DM to no greater than 40' or 12M. I also believe they will require you to have your academics completed before the course begins...

I dislike this kind of advertising, it is usually accompanied with an upsale to OW.

Cheers,
Roger

I believe you can only dive under the direct supervision of a DM and to a max depth of 40 ft as well.

I was too slow :(

PADI Scuba Diver is different that PADI OW.

From the PADI site

PADI Scuba Diver Course

Short on time and long on the urge to become a certified diver? The PADI Scuba Diver certification might just be for you. This course requires less time than the PADI Open Water Diver course, covering only the first three of five sections of knowledge development, the first three of five pool sessions, and the first two of four open water training dives, resulting in a limited certification. Particularly if you expect to go scuba diving primarily in the company of a dive guide or if you have limited time to devote to scuba certification, consider becoming a PADI Scuba Diver.

Okay, I can't believe I was not aware of this cert. If you read the description, it basically qualifies you to do "trust me" dives with a DM. Let the deluge begin ....

Okay, I can't believe I was not aware of this cert. If you read the description, it basically qualifies you to do "trust me" dives with a DM. Let the deluge begin ....

I just remember when I first certified, we went through the different initial certification levels and I remember thinking....."HUH?? Why would I want to only be able to dive with a 'professional'??". I wanted to dive on my own and not to not have to pay for a guide for every dive.

There must be a market for this type of certification otherwise PADI would not offer it.

I have met plenty of people who would not go in the water without somebody guiding them and holding their hand on a dive. There are frequent visitors to UAE who bale out if there is not a dive guide as they have no clue how to dive on their own. The dive center I regularly use is just such a place.

It has not been the first time I have gone down solo to come back up and find that nobody else dived because there was no guide to show them around. Subsequently on the second dive I have found myself taking a lead and guiding them only to regret it as their buoyancy is generally piss poor and I have to deal with lots of stirred up sediment whilst taking photos despite telling them beforehand to keep their distance when I am photographing critters.

Usually they run low on air long before me so I generally get some time alone on the second dive after they have ascended.

Back
Top Bottom