Is it safe to wear a nose clip while scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Defogger? What's wrong with spit?

Use a clip if you want to, just be sure you can exhale through your nose and equalize the mask.

But, I'm not really sure that is whats fogging your mask. And, you can clear it whenever you want to anyways. So I wouldn't bother with the clip.

I am a natural nose breather and sometimes find that my mask gets fogged up, probably because I inadvertantly breathed out my nose. Is it ok to wear a noseclip?

Didn't your instructor tell you about defogger? It seems very odd that he/she didn't discuss fogging masks before you even got in the water.

Defogger? What's wrong with spit?

Supposedly, the risk of eye infection is increased due to the high bacteria content in spit. I'm no medical expert, that's what they told us. Maybe it's just propaganda started by the defogger manufacturers.

I am a natural nose breather
Aren't we all? I mean, those of us with noses, anyway. Why else do we have them? :D

Supposedly, the risk of eye infection is increased due to the high bacteria content in spit. I'm no medical expert, that's what they told us. Maybe it's just propaganda started by the defogger manufacturers.
So they can score $6 a year from us--yeah, that's probably the root of that conspiracy. :D

$6 times every diver in the world, pretty soon that adds up to a small chunk of change.

I am a natural nose breather and sometimes find that my mask gets fogged up, probably because I inadvertantly breathed out my nose. Is it ok to wear a noseclip?
As discussed extensively in this post

it is perfectly possible to wear a nose clip inside the mask without compromising the emptying of the water or the equalization, as also shown in the video by Hans Hass:

This technique was very popular between the 40s and 60s, as can be seen from the photos and articles of that period.

In conclusion, I don't know if the use of a nose clip can solve your fogging problem, but it is possible to use noseclip without problems.

Defogger, is great...to a point.

I have the same issue as the OP. Keep in mind, nasal exhalation is warm, moist air hitting a cold glass surface. Defogger does not, cannot, prevent condensation completely. It works by reducing the surface tension of the water on the lens thereby preventing micro droplet condensation, what we call fog.

Eventually if you keep breathing out through the nose the total humidity in and through the mask will reach a point sufficient for condensation to occur, perhaps even unnoticed at first. Once that happens it will overwhelm the anti-fog and eventually rinse the AF away from the surface of the lens.

If you continue breathing out through the mask via the nose then as the air escapes you will have small "leaks" that allow seawater to come in and remove more defogger. Clearing the mask further exacerbates this process.

And then you start doing the fill and clear and remove the rest of your defogger.

The best way to reduce the greatest cause of fogging is to not breathe out through the nose. And certainly that is a skill we can learn. I know I am able to exercise that skill. But I can also say that when I'm in the "zone" my natural tendency is to use my nose, so much so that I don't even realize it until I have to clear my mask, lol.

JJ Baby Shampoo
I switched to JJ Baby shampoo about 3 months ago. It does a much better job than two most common defogger brands, or spit in my experience. Dilute it 50/50 with water. Put it in a small travel-sized spray bottle or other container.

^ This is what I bought for reference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom