Is it safe to wear a nose clip while scuba diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am a natural nose breather and sometimes find that my mask gets fogged up, probably because I inadvertantly breathed out my nose. Is it ok to wear a noseclip?

Defogger?

+1 more for defogger. Maybe try a new brand of defogger. I breath out through my nose from time to time mine does not fogg.

Lots of good information about treating the mask to help with fogging in another thread around here somewhere.

If you wear a nose clip, what about mask clearing?

J.

I am a natural nose breather .... Is it ok to wear a noseclip?
OK? Not really. This is a skill you will acquire with a little practice and some clear instruction. In the meantime, just make sure your mask is really clean and spit in it, rub it around vigorously and quickly rinse it out before you drop.

As long as you can still exhale through your nose (albeit with a bit more force) there is no problem with a nose clip. You must, as has been noted, be able to equalize your mask.

I doubt breathing out your nose is related to mask fogging. I exhale to blow water out of my mask. Never had it fog my mask. Can not imagine wanting or needing to wear a nose clip.

If you are not in training you can wear a nose clip on your nose if you like. Heck, you can wear them on your ears and fingers too if you so choose.

learn to control your airways
as teamcasa said, it comes with practice
meanwhile,the steady exhale of warm air on an ice cold glass surface...
could cause some "fogging" issues!!
enjoy the learning
have fun
yaeg

I'm a nose breather... just clean your mask with toothpaste (non-minty) two or three times to get the silicone off. I use spit after that, but a commercial defog would be fine. I never have a fog problem after I do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom