Is it true?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remenber very nice viz when I was in Sipadan but that was a few years ago.
Since the thread progressed to wrecks. In the Asian-Pacific region one must remember Chuuk (haven't been there myself). I have been to Coron, North Palawan in the Philippines. That was great with easy to dive wrecks, and Palau has many nice wrecks too.
Since someone moved the destination to the cold waters of Europe, a former colleague is based in Aaland, Finland which boasts over 500 wrecks.

Yep, there are a lot of wrecks in the Baltic Sea, in AAland as well as in the Stockholm Archipelago. It is epecially good for old wodden wrecks, since the water in the Baltic Sea has to low salinity for ship worms (english name???). But, I'd say the WWII wrecks in Narvik are a better destination for most divers, since viz. in the Baltic sea is normally low, around 1-3 meters (3-9 feet) and the temperature is more or less constantly around 4 degrees Celcius at depth.

Sorry for "moving" the destination, I just thought if he was looking for wrecks, there are places that make more sense than Sipadan Island.

However, I think I also gave a reply on my opinion about the viz. on Sipadan - it varies, to be honest, water is not usually gin clear around Sipadan, never has been. Then, of course, you can be lucky. On my 50+ dives around the island, viz has never been great, sometimes really bad, sometimes quite good. I have friends who have been there on and off for the latest ten years and this is what usually is the case. Of course some of them have been very lucky with the conditions and have had crystal clear waters. On the other hand, life on the reef tend to get a bit "slower" when there are less particles (food) in the water.

Concerning the barracudas, I don't know if they have "disappeared". Did some fisherman catch them all??? I think this is just bad information from a disappointed diver who missed the school. I know people who where there 7-8 years ago and didn't see the barracudas. It is wild animnals, not stationary objects. Sometimes they go out to sea, sometimes they hang around the island. I haven't been to Sipadan since year 2000, but then the barracuda school was there. And the turtles. And the hammerheads, leopard sharks, grey reef sharks, white tip reef sharks, bumphead parrotfish, jack fish ... etc. And I know for a fact that the barracudas was there in april 2001 ( the school was featured on the cover of a swedish dive magazine).

cheers

/christian

Hi Christian and thanks for your advice.
Yes, I am well aware of the wrecks around Scandinavia (I live in Stockholm too). However, wrecks are not my main interest when it comes to diving, but I thought it sounded as a good idea to give them a try when someone suggested Kudat. This is no longer a fact though, after the bombings in Indonesia.
My main goal with the trip to Borneo is Sipadan. I also read the article in Dyk Magazine, which sounded promising.

Anyway, thanks for all your advice,

/Gustaf

I see what you are after. If you have some spare time and want to do some different diving then, try Labuan. Haven't dived these wrecks myself, but you will most certainly spend some time in Kota Kinabalu and Labuan is only a short ferry trip from there. Borneo Divers can arrange diving to the wrecks around Labuan.

good luck

/christian

That's right, I have a few days in KK to spend, and would like to do some more diving. Labuan looks alright.

Thanks again

/Gustaf

Back
Top Bottom