Is it worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It depends how you define Tech diving. I got into it to do deep dives to take pictures. Deep air is not considered safe anymore and as I get older it becomes less of an option. Frankly, I'm kind of scared of caves so Tech diving might mean something different to me. It doesn't have to be a blue water decent to a short bottom time. I've just taken a couple of classes but it is very interesting.

Rick Inman:
I love this statement. I've also heard it said that knowledge gained is it's own reward.
I only have about 25 dives over 150' and just a handful over 200', but as a tech nOOb, here is my take.... <snip>
Thank you, Rick, for a very thoughtful response. Well said!
~~~~
Claudette

nadwidny:
Because the wrecks I want to see require it.

Very good comment. If there is something that you want to do and your current training level doesn't provide for it,then additional training is important to satisfy the goal safely. There is nothing wrong for seeking training for the sake of it,but when there is a purpose and a use,then those skills get reinforced.

The Kraken:
My response to the question put forth is this . . .

Knowledge, whether used or not, is not without its worth.

Should one need it, if one has it, it is there. If one has it not, it is not there.

I would rather have knowledge of something an never have to put it to use than to have need to put it to use and not have it.

If nothing else, it will give you a greater command of that which you already have.

the K

There is a corollary from the aviation community that reflects the same wisdom - the superior pilot is the one who uses his/her superior knowledge to stay out of situations that require his superior skills.

As I have progressed in tech diving - just got Trimix cert'd - the skills and knowledge I learned will serve me well at 20 feet as well as 200 feet. My air consumption is much better (and by the way, I know what it is now!), my buoyancy skills are 200% better, etc, etc, etc.

And when I go to Pensacola to the Oriskany and to the Keys to the Speigel, we can go deeper and or stay longer.

In other words, it made me a better, safer diver with more flexibility in where to dive.

That said, it ain't cheap and requires a financial commitment.:coffee:

The tech diving I do is almost exclusively in caves. So far, most of the deco obligations I've bought were due to dive time not depth. Spending an hour or so at 95' will buy you a few minutes at 20' on 100%. Swimming as far as you can and needing stage tanks to explore new areas of the cave will buy even more deco time. So, for me, it's all about exploring the caves.

The Kraken, Rick Inman and Tedwhiteva have all posted excellent responses to the question.

I originally took tech classes to further my diving education. Now I am addicted and - my interests are deep wrecks, but I am working my way from Cavern (now) to hopefully full cave and then into wreck.

My diving skills have improved substantially, although I still consider my tech skills to be weak. The first thing I learned was that there is a lot they don't teach you in ow/aow.

Its an expensive hobby and the training demanding. It makes you a better diver and better divers have more fun:D

Cheers

Steve

Sometimes the wrecks are deep.
I am new at tech , just finished my course,
did the Windjammer in Bonaire, the deco was amazing as we did it all the way up the reef, it was not boring at all. Of course when I go home and dive in LAKE Ontario, it will be less colorful....but we have wrecks that make it all worth while!

There are several levels of tech diving. Trimix fills will run around here about $60 for double 80's. The 02 will be $30 a tank, etc.

TDI Deco Procedures and Advanced Nitrox are entry level tech diving classes that train you for 150' max. You can definitely utilize those skills in shallower water and enjoy entry tech dives to those depths without trimix.

The next step is Entry Trimix which costs $1000. I have been thinking about this too. I'm not sure I want to prioritize $1000 in a certification for perhaps 10 trimix deco dives a year.

I got into it to explore deeper wrecks and to stay longer at some wrecks I already enjoy such as the U853.

--Matt

yes it is worth it: you get to do more with less

:wink:

Jorbar1551:
why did you guys/gals get into tec diving?

Because the pretty fish on a shallow reef got boring after a while. Diving is like crack, you can easily build up a tolerance and need MORE and MORE to feel sated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom