Is Late Feb a good time to dive in Florida?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in Miami, and dive year 'round - If you are coming from CA, you will find the water much warmer than what you are used to - normally, its 68 - 73 that time of year.

Also, winter often provides the best viz of the year - if you are staying in Miami or Miami Beach, you have ready access to to a fantastic operator - RJ Diving - they dive year 'round and are great; very professional. Miami is a good place to dive, too.

Here is their contact info:

www.rjdiving.com

All the positives said, Feb can be a terrible month as we get cold fronts and resultant wind that can really mess up the diving for days - this past winter was rough - who knows what Feb will bring? But you have a far greater probability of being blown out in the winter vs summer.

I would advise anyone coming for a dedicated dive vacation to pick another month, however you are coming for the festival (which is a 1st class deal BTW - attended a couple of years ago) so give diving a shot - I use a 7mm that time of year (and am strongly considering going dry); others are comfortable w/ 3mm - but you need something - good news is there is a shop next to RJ's boat that can rent you anything you need.

Finally, the NOAA weather forecast is your friend - they can give you the outlook for when you are coming down - if the forecast calls for a front, w/ 15 - 25 mph winds,and 6 - 9 foot seas, bag the diving, and sign up for another chef at the festival!

My $.02 worth. I pretty much agree with the other posters. I dive the springs quite a bit and am very comfortable in a 3mm suit. In case you're not familiar, the springs are 72 year round which is close to the ocean temp in the winter. With that said, I've seen people shivering in thicker suits. During the winter at the springs it is not unusual to see people get in their vehicles during their SI. Just remember....you can't do that on a boat. Bottom line, it's about what you are comfortable with.

I don't even wear hood and gloves.
3/2 full and maybe, if it get's below 70 degrees, I'll add a skin and I'm good.
Of course........I'm well insulated..........:(

Bottom line, it's about what you are comfortable with.
True, true. I'm so sensitive to the cold that even with a full suit and hood, I pretty much don't dive between mid-November and early May. I've seen people dive in t-shirts and shorts in December and January while I was shivering non-stop fully protected.

I am originally from Southern CA and quickly became attached to Key Largo diving. The winter water temps are going to be in the low 70's around that time. You should be very comfortable in a 3mm wetsuit. We rent the Pinnacle 3mm Breaker wetsuit which is a warmer suit than most thanks to it's great neck, wrist, and ankle seals. I don't get many complaints, especially not from fellow CA divers who are used to colder water.
Let me know if you need advice on some great dive sites.
Larry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom