Is my Sausage too big?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landlocked123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
No pun intended I am starting to think mine is too big. I have a DAN Alert one. It must be at around 6 feet if not 7. Its wide and holds a lot of air. The issue I am having is that when I deploy I am not able to get enough air in it before it starts to pull me to the surface. My guess is if I held onto the bloody thing until about 1/2 full I would be popping up 8-10 feet. So what am I missing here?? I have a smaller 5 foot one which i thinner and no issues. What size saussage do you all use ? What size is recomended for East Coast wreck diving?

thanks
G

No pun intended I am starting to think mine is too big. I have a DAN Alert one. It must be at around 6 feet if not 7. Its wide and holds a lot of air. The issue I am having is that when I deploy I am not able to get enough air in it before it starts to pull me to the surface. My guess is if I held onto the bloody thing until about 1/2 full I would be popping up 8-10 feet. So what am I missing here?? I have a smaller 5 foot one which i thinner and no issues. What size saussage do you all use ? What size is recomended for East Coast wreck diving?

thanks
G

6' is a good size. Anything less and its hard to see unless the water is flat, which is not typical east cost wreck diving. Try deploying at depth, at 66' you only need to be 1/3 full and being pulled up 10' is no big deal. The other option is to first give it a shot out of your BCD exhaust. This transfers the floatation from your BCD to you SMB, which means you are still neutral. Check your line that you are not entangled and then give it a second shot of air from you reg right before you let go.

Thanks for the feedabck. I was deploying (praciticing) at 20-25 feet. It sounds like deploying deeper would alleviate some of the problem as I can see how the depth would make a difference. Also, had not even thought of using the BCD exhaust. Very interesting approach as this would definitely address the transfer of buoyancy. Once released just add back to BCD. I was using my reg to inflate. I will try 35 feet next and see what happens. Thanks for you input.

Thanks for the feedabck. I was deploying (praciticing) at 20-25 feet. It sounds like deploying deeper would alleviate some of the problem as I can see how the depth would make a difference. Also, had not even thought of using the BCD exhaust. Very interesting approach as this would definitely address the transfer of buoyancy. Once released just add back to BCD. I was using my reg to inflate. I will try 35 feet next and see what happens. Thanks for you input.

Well, no, transfer your buoyancy to the sausage and the sausage will stand up. If you get neutral again, your sausage will flop. No captain likes a floppy sausage.

Really? Sausage size and "inflation" levels? The size is right, and you just need to practice proper deployment. Full inflation is not critical to deployment, but you can come close with practice and buddy help on maintaining buoyancy. You will get better at using your sausage with appropriate experience and practice. I think the implied innuendo or subtle metaphor has been carried forward far enough now.
DivemasterDennis

I am operating under the assumption that I have become separated from my buddy. In all the research I have done it never talked about having to use a budy to maintain buoyancy while deplyoing a saussge so perhaps I am doing it wrong. On the last wreck dive I did in Mexico the Divemaster had a shorter/thinner one that he deployed at 25 feet. We used it crawl up to 15 to do our safety stop after an 85 foot dive. Never once did he ask for anyone's help and again his saussage was much smaller and thinner so I still feel that the one i have is too large to be deployed at 20-25 feet. He held onto the thing for roughly 5 seconds. Again if I did the same iwth mine at that depth i would take off like a trident missle. Technique aside, unless you make yourself negatively buoyant to counteract the fill physics is going to take over it would seem. I think I have the wrong gear for deploying at those depths. If anyone has deplyoed a 7 foot Dan Alert saussage from 20 feet please let me know how you did it wihtout rocketing upwards.

G

Back
Top Bottom