is oly really that good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tangfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
why is there a forum just for olympus users? I'm not being sarchastic, I am just wondering as a land-based photographer. Is there something about Oly that is much better than other brands for underwater photography?

Of course, Olympus is the best! Seriously, I can't say one brand is better than the other. I think the popularity of the Oly systems have alot to do with the fact that they were one of, if not the, first digital cameras that had an affordable housing available and whose camera had all full function controls available to the user, so alot of the first digital users started with Olympus. As their review and results were shown, it had a huge influence on those seeking to get into digital photography with a good system that didn't cost and arm and leg.

The reason for the Oly specific forum is because we DO have alot of Oly users and there are questions being asked, proceedures described and techniques used that are specific to Oly cameras. This way users of other brands don't have to wade through all the Oly subjects. We're not trying to put Oly's above other brands, just trying to help seperate the subject matter a bit better.

Hmmm since i just bought a c-5050z and a housing i would have to say oly rules...j/k
The fact that i could get a good uw housing that allows me to access every feature on the camera for really cheap, got mine for $150 was a major selling point.
Price the housing of other cams and you will see why. Also it may not be a dslr but it is a 5mp cam with tons of features and so far works extremely well for $429 versus close to a grand for a dslr.
Plus there seems to be a huge user base for this cam, so you can find tons of info or help if you need it.

So good cheap housing with full function, very good camera with tons of features. Huge user base for info and help. Very cheap price so i dont have to worry about coughing 2-3 grand for a dslr setup, Plus im not worried about it becoming obsolete because by then a much better version that exist's now will drop in price to match this by the time i am ready to upgrade.

Those were my big sellers

I think that the fact that Dee uses Oly's has had a tremendous effect on this forum. And I mean that in a positive sense. Ask about Oly's and you'll learn everything you want to know; for other brands there simply wasn't and still isn't that kind of information. Couple that with a good camera brand and an inexpensive housing and the snowball started rolling. Then add the enthusiastic posts from the earlier pioneers and their georgeous pics and you get an Olympus avalanche.

ScubaRon:
I think that the fact that Dee uses Oly's has had a tremendous effect on this forum. And I mean that in a positive sense.

Gee...I'm still waiting on those commission checks! :D

It's easy to recommend what you believe in. As I mentioned, the early digital pioneers on these message boards set the ball in motion. Oly's were the first to be used and the results were very impressive. It was actually the photos that made me start thinking of upgrading to a digital. I've never regretted the decision to change or the brand.

I bought a C3000 five years ago, 3 years before I started diving. It has been a great land camera. I currently use a Sea & Sea MX-5 II underwater, but am going to go digital. Since I have been so happy with the performance of the 3000, why change? If it aint broke, don't fix it. I have had nothing but good experience with olympus cameras. I am currently looking to go digital, and will be choosiung betweeen the C5050 or the new C8080, and will definitely be choosing Olympus.

i used to be and also am a land base photographer. my land camera is NIKON FM2. i also have many nikkor lens from 20mm. to 80-200mm. i'm still a big fan of Nikon and never change.

HOWEVER, for digital camara actually i almost got nikon cp5000 but after i made some research about underwater housing. i finally ends up with oly 5050z with pt015 because of the very much cheaper price and almost the same feathers and quality
that's why i think OLY is the most popular for U/W photographer. :eyebrow:

funkyspelunker:
Is there something about Oly that is much better than other brands for underwater photography?

I hope so, 'cause I just ordered one and a PT-015.

funkyspelunker:
why is there a forum just for olympus users? I'm not being sarcastic, I am just wondering as a land-based photographer. Is there something about Oly that is much better than other brands for underwater photography?

What makes Oly rule for UW photography is three things, and these three things only:

1) Easy to get into. Its affordable, so the stakes are low, so more people will try it. The support is outstanding on boards like this so you're never alone. You got questions, we got answers.

2) Flexible. Put it in the housing, it rocks UW. Take it out, it rocks on land. Its very flexible, easy to use and takes good pictures.

3) Its Small. If any camera is too big and heavy, you simply wont take it everywhere - so you'll often be sitting there saying "dangit - I wish I brought my camera..."

Are there cameras that are "better?" Sure. Are there better values (features for dollars) in an UW rig? No way. You could spend a lot more and not get a lot more.

K

Mo2vation:
What makes Oly rule for UW photography is three things, and these three things only:

1) Easy to get into. Its affordable, so the stakes are low, so more people will try it. The support is outstanding on boards like this so you're never alone. You got questions, we got answers.

2) Flexible. Put it in the housing, it rocks UW. Take it out, it rocks on land. Its very flexible, easy to use and takes good pictures.

3) Its Small. If any camera is too big and heavy, you simply wont take it everywhere - so you'll often be sitting there saying "dangit - I wish I brought my camera..."

Are there cameras that are "better?" Sure. Are there better values (features for dollars) in an UW rig? No way. You could spend a lot more and not get a lot more.

K

Very well said....there is nothing to be added.

Back
Top Bottom