is oly really that good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Oly's are great camera's. An Italian friend of mine (professional photographer) told me years ago that Olympus made lenses on a par with Nikon - but for a lot less cost. They haven't forgotten how to do that in the meantime! As everyone says - the housings are also v.good, and cheap by comparison to others. In Japan the only other digitals that you see a lot are the Sony's (P5 & P9 I think) - they are also good, but they don't have the controls that something like the c-5050/5060 does.

Taucher:
I am currently looking to go digital, and will be choosing betweeen the C5050 or the new C8080, and will definitely be choosing Olympus.
I'd be a bit wary of the C-8080! The U/W case is huge and I've heard a few scary stories about it - leaks etc. Also the size of the lens port is bigger than the C-5050 so you might have problems if you want to use extra lenses such as wideangle/macro. Just my opinion though - I bet otherwise they are great camera's, although they'll use up cards really quick at 8MP!!!

KimLeece,

Where did you hear these stories? If you've got any specific information, I'd like to hear it as I'm considering buying the c-8080 camera with housing.
As for the lens port, I've seen there is a WA port available (though it has a flat glass lens)

Thanks, Waterbase

Taucher:
I am currently looking to go digital, and will be choosiung betweeen the C5050 or the new C8080, and will definitely be choosing Olympus.

The 8080 useses (I believe) the same chip or the same chip size as the 5050, but they jam 8 meg onto it... the 8080 from what I've seen is more prone to noise and bloom. You'll do better UW (under lit, close range, etc, etc...) with the 5050.

Plus you have an instant, global support team in ScubaBoard with the 5050 - you will not get that with the 8080.

K

Add me to the ranks. I bought a 5050 a couple weeks back, and ordered a Light and Motion Tetra housing with wetmate lenses for it earlier this week.

Waterbase:
KimLeece,

Where did you hear these stories? If you've got any specific information, I'd like to hear it as I'm considering buying the c-8080 camera with housing.
As for the lens port, I've seen there is a WA port available (though it has a flat glass lens)

Thanks, Waterbase
I'm sorry I have not read something correctly!

Yuzo:
NO, you can not use UWL-100 with PT-023. Its port diameter will be over 120mm.
And I have heared the flooded case like this.
He was using PT-020 with UWL-100 and INON domeport. And his PT-020 was flooded from the port joint. I think INON UWL-100 with dome port is too heavy for PT-020.

For PT-020, Athena Optical dome port is available now.

Best
Yuzo
As you can see refers to the PT-020 housing - not the PT-023! My apologies! If you read the rest of the C-8080 thread (http://www.scubaboard.com/t48576.html) Yuzo has a few other reasons why he doesn't think the C-8080 will be very suitable for U/W.

Again - I apologize for my mistake!

OK, thanks for enlightening me! I read Yuzo's contributions, but so far, I'm under the impression that pt-023's size is the problem. I'm not too concerned with that (for the moment).

Thanks again!
Waterbase

Hi,

I am just a little curious. Most people are using 5050 and others are considering to buy into the 5050 or the 8080. It seems that nobody is looking at the 5060.

Is it because the 5060 is not as good a u/w camera in comparison to the 5050?

I am curious because I am looking at buy one and is still debating between the 5050 and 5060.....

TwilightZ1:
Hi,

I am just a little curious. Most people are using 5050 and others are considering to buy into the 5050 or the 8080. It seems that nobody is looking at the 5060.

Is it because the 5060 is not as good a u/w camera in comparison to the 5050?

I am curious because I am looking at buy one and is still debating between the 5050 and 5060.....

There are lots of posts on this subject. I just bought a 5050 for these reasons.

1. Uses AA batteries not a propriatary one. If my batteries crap out in the middle of nowhere I can use regular ones in an emergency.

2. The 5050 has an F1.8 lens, better light gathering. The 5060 has a wider angle lens but is only F2.8

There are some other differences, some pluses on the 5060 I think regarding the shutter/lag time between shots is maybe better, don't quote me on this, it's late...Go to Olympus website. The batteries and the F1.8 lens were big pluses for me to go with the 5050.

RiverRat:
There are lots of posts on this subject. I just bought a 5050 for these reasons.

1. Uses AA batteries not a propriatary one. If my batteries crap out in the middle of nowhere I can use regular ones in an emergency.

2. The 5050 has an F1.8 lens, better light gathering. The 5060 has a wider angle lens but is only F2.8

There are some other differences, some pluses on the 5060 I think regarding the shutter/lag time between shots is maybe better, don't quote me on this, it's late...Go to Olympus website. The batteries and the F1.8 lens were big pluses for me to go with the 5050.

RiverRat,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, I have done a lot of 'research' on these 2 models and that understand the differences. In fact, I have been checking on the topic since Feb.

I guess I can live with the battery issues as I will surely buy additional batteries and the battary for the 5060 seems to be pretty lasting.

The f-stop vs shutter lag is the one that bugs me a lot. I still cannot decide if a F1.8 lens with more shutter lag is better compared to a F2.8 lens with less shutter lag....

Sorry if my question sounds silly but I am still a novice...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom