is oly really that good?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TwilightZ1:
RiverRat,
Sorry if my question sounds silly but I am still a novice...

Silly, not at all, I'm a novice too! Just got my 5050 today so I thought I'd post my reasons for grabbing it over the 5060. So far I like this camera! As far as the lag time I'm not planning on rapid succession shots so I don't think it will be an issue at my level anyway. Gotta start somewhere but at this price ($409.00 on buydig.com) this camera and the case will get me into what has been historically a very expensive hobby for cheap. Of course I'm drooling over an Inon strobe now.......I'll practice with the built in flash first

Dang....I paid $429 for one last week at BuyDig.com!

Twilight....ChrisP from Rodales has both cameras and has posted a comparison of the two ----> HERE

Dee:

Twilight....ChrisP from Rodales has both cameras and has posted a comparison of the two ----> HERE

Dee,

Thanks! Helpful as always. :wink:

Dee:

Very sound advice. I would like to add that the 5060 is a very smooth and quiet(er) camera, sort of a like a refined 5050. In reality it is perhaps just marginally faster in focusing but feels a lot faster and responsive because it is smooth and quiet. The full-flip viewfinder is very handy - I don't know why Olympus doesn't do it for all it's high-end prosumer cameras.
Also, I feel the housing for the C5060 has been improved - it's easier to setup the camera with the PT-020. The jog dial on the housing has also been shifted to the back rather than on top.
Out-of-the-box I would choose the 5060 for it's wider lens and smooth operation. The f1.8 of the 5050 is a nice-to-have but TBH I've never used it at that aperture. In my opinion the long lasting batteries and slower shelf discharge time of the lithium ions far out-weigh the benefits of generic AA batteries. If you are worried about your battery or charger qarking it on the trip then carry spare batteries and charger - this is what I do with my NiMH anyway. BTW, according to dpreview, the proprietary lithium-ion battery of the C8080 last upto 5hrs 52mins! Probably the longest of any camera in the market.
The only reason I would choose the C5050 over the C5060 is the interchageable wet WAL.

Dee:

I paid about that with shipping, maybe same deal. Hey thanks for the Rodales link. Wish I saw that before I bought the 5050 but I'm happy with the purchase. Both cameras are pretty damn close in comparison and a heck of a buy to get into the hobby. With the case I'm into this for less than $600.00!
Topside I'm very impressed so far with this camera.
Can't wait to get it wet!

Back
Top Bottom