Is Side Mount the new DIR??? Building resentment towards us as a group...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The interessting part about sidemount: where the first appears soon half the people and most beginners want to try it too.
And most seem to stick with it exclusively.

I agree with the assertion that side mount takes longer to gear up than back mount and have observed it many times. I dive out of relatively small boats usually less than 6.5m (21ft) and there is no opportunity to begin gearing up until the anchor line or shot is set. Whilst side mounters claim they can leave the harness on I find this is rarely the case with the harness and bladders seeming to take up most of the room in gear bins, where back mounts sit neatly in the tank racks ready to go when it is time begin gearing up.

I had an opportunity 5 or so years ago to do a side mount course with some of my regular dive buddies who got Steve Martin to my area, but gave it a miss because I could immediately see my manifolded twins which I had been using for the preceding 6 or so years was the best tool for the deep ocean and wreck diving I do and have always preferred the manifolded twins to indies. I was not prepared to compromise by doing away with the advantages that a manifold offers. So that was a deal breaker for me.

Once you start adding multiple stages and deco tanks side mount just becomes a cluster ****, and ends up being more stomach mount.

But all a moot point for me now as I have been diving a rebreather for the last few years.

But hey side mount is the latest fad and let’s face it for many people diving is more about the gear than the experience of actually diving and side mount probably appeals to those types.

... yet another example of an "expert" who's never actually tried it ... I love the internet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

... yet another example of an "expert" who's never actually tried it ... I love the internet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

The Internet, where anyone can be a French Modal, an African Prince or Bank Official, or even an Asian Beauty, Seeking White Male

Bob, I don't claim to be an "expert" on SM just relaying my observations of diving with SM divers over the past five years or so. I had no inclination to try SM because it was not the best gear configuration for the diving I do.

It's probably the attitude of people like Bob above who build the resentment to SM, how dare people point out any floors in this latest fad :wink:

Bob, I don't claim to be an "expert" on SM just relaying my observations of diving with SM divers over the past five years or so. I had no inclination to try SM because it was not the best gear configuration for the diving I do.

It's probably the attitude of people like Bob above who build the resentment to SM, how dare people point out any floors in this latest fad :wink:

Resentment? Ignorance is more like it. I haven't said one word about how you choose to dive ... and the fact that you describe sidemount as a fad is a sure indicator that you approached the subject with a bad attitude ... nothing from me was required other than simply making a different choice than you did. If your choices work for you, great ... I don't need you passing judgment on mine, particularly when it's clear you have nothing to contribute to the discussion. Ignorance isn't very compelling an argument.

Yeah ... SM is a lot like DIR, particularly on ScubaBoard where a lot of people go to the forum dedicated to the topic specifically to toss rocks at the people who choose to dive that way. It's usually the case that they have never tried it, and know nothing about it ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Last edited:
If knowledge and experience are going to be required before posting expert opinions on any subject, the Internet would soon become a very boring place.

Next thing you know, we'd be requiring people to actually be themselves on the internet, and prove it before posting. What's the fun in that, if you are not satisfied with the person you are?

Actually I am constantly asked to prove my experience or something.
And whenever I admit a missing certificate I am told to shut up on the subject and anything remotely related.
Not once, but constantly for years now and in some cases across forums, in Emails, PNs and on facebook at the same time.
In another thread here at this very moment to be precise.

In my opinion that is exactly the impression people have been associating with the acronym 'DIR'.
Aloof attitudes, exclusion of others, disbelieving everybody else's competence...

That's also why I think neither the reality nor the 'image' of sidemount or sidemount divers is even remotely related or comparable.
Sadly, there are also some 'DIR-syle' sidemount divers, however.

Last edited:
Resentment?....Yeah ... SM is a lot like DIR, particularly on ScubaBoard where a lot of people go to the forum dedicated to the topic specifically to toss rocks at the people who choose to dive that way. It's usually the case that they have never tried it, and know nothing about it ...

Well said. In reference to the original question posed in this thread, I do see resentment towards sidemount divers, but I don't see that the resentment spawns from any particular attitude from the sidemount community.

I don't see this in real life, but here on Scubaboard I see it basically going like this:

Sidemount Diver: "Hey, I really enjoy diving sidemount, lets talk about our sidemount diving experiences sidemount folks!?"

Non-Sidemount Diver: "What you do is a stupid fad. It doesn't work for X, Y and Z. All sidemount divers gear up slowly, can't exit a boat, _________ (insert random demeaning generalization here)"

Sidemount Diver: "Ouch, that's kinda unrepresentative and doesn't really fit the reality. Maybe you should try sidemount before making up your mind on it?"

Non-Sidemount Diver: "Stop nagging me to learn sidemount. You guys are fundamentalist about your stupid fad. This reminds me of DIR mentality. You sidemount divers are so wrong. You never shut up about it. It doesn't even work......."

I'm wondering if a certain demographic of divers feel threatened by sidemount? Is that what happens when the old dog realizes it can learn no more tricks?

Let's face it, there are some real AH's, pretenders, posers, and fad chasers in this sport.
Why should our sport be any different from every other group of people on this planet?
On the bright side, I think we have a tremendous number of caring, skilled, welcoming and yes, colorful characters in our sport. All sectors of our sport.

A few years ago I trained with a pretty well known man, who had a colorful way of describing CCR.
HE said that every second of a dive the CCR was trying to kill you.
Your job, diving CCR, was to at every second, keep it from doing so.

Recently I learned that this instructor has become an avid CCR fan.

This sport evolves, grows, changes, and I will put no diver down because they choose differing set up, or techniques than I prefer.
Tomorrow, I may decide to try something new.

Back
Top Bottom