Is Solo diving a category of Technical diving?

What do you consider Solo diving to be:

• A form of technical diving.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Advanced diving but not to the degree of technical.

Votes: 61 52.1%
  • Just another alternative to buddy diving.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • A type of diving that should never be done.

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jerrynuss:
The SDI solo program is on their recreational side and not TDI so it appears to be a non-technical certification to me. I teach the course but we go into a lot more than what size of redundant gas supply to carry. I go into a lot of accident analysis. About half of thre students in the course determine solo diving is not for them. A lot of people that inquire about the course are fairly new divers and they don't have the proper equipment or they have so much they look like a christmas tree, and they don't have enough experience to be in it. As a minimum I require a 30cuft buddy bottle for the redundant gas.

The students you turn away for not having enough experience or the right equipment could just visit a solo forum someplace.

Scuba:
[. . .] is the exclusion of Solo diving from our commonly used tech categorization in the U.S. leading new divers to believe that solo is somehow easier and less demanding than tech?
Scuba, I don't believe that solo diving is a type of technical diving. I believe that what sets technical diving apart from recreational diving is the use of specialized techniques that make a life-or-death difference in special environments.

Of course, this concept is a spectrum, and some tech has moved into recreational (nitrox, for example). But I'm thinking of specialized cave navigation, specialized wreck maneuvering skills, special knowledge of gas and deco stop planning when going deep and long. All are necessary for survival in those environments.

I don't think solo diving demands special non-recreational skill sets for survival, although we could debate how much skill is needed to properly rig and use isolated doubles or a pony bottle.

But I would add that solo diving is inherently dangerous, and cannot be made as safe as skilled buddy diving. My thoughts of late have been on the psychological variables, on the unpredictability of the psyche even in a familiar and unstressful setting. I now think of solo diving as a discipline of mind, requiring brutal self-appraisal and mastery of self-awareness. Perhaps some would consider it technical in that sense.

I continue to work on my skills solo, in my local lake, but it can accurately be described as putzing around in the shallows. Solo diving anywhere interesting has, for me, gradually lost its appeal.

Fin on,
Bryan

eponym:
I don't think solo diving demands special non-recreational skill sets for survival, although we could debate how much skill is needed to properly rig and use isolated doubles or a pony bottle.

I disagree. The response to a OOA that's taught as a first choice to all recreational divers is no longer possible.

I Also don't see the need for a debate on the skills required for using doubles either. The standards of the classes in which it's taught are pretty clear about that and without those skills the doubles (especially manifolded or h-valves) just give you more places to spring a leak.

In the case of independants there's the differences in gas management. Then there's the fact that gas management is rarely taught in recreational classes beyond telling students to get back on the boat with 500 psi. LOL

You could argue that it's only my opinion of course but after reading some of the pony strategies used in this forum I think some would be better off with a long straw.

Folks,

As usual, Mike Ferrara's comments are cogent and well thought out!

Solo diving, if done to depths greater than snorkeling depths, must be seen as "technical diving", and prepared for as such.

It is much the same as having an overhead environment, be it the famous "glass ceiling" of decompression, or a ceiling made out of rock or steel. By choosing to go "solo", you are placing extra limitations on yourself, and INCREASING your need for redundancy and self-rescue capability.

Technical training and equipment are a must if you are going to do deep solo diving. UNLESS, of course, you just don't care whether you come back or not!

Cheers!

MikeFerrara:
I don't see the need for a debate on the skills required for using doubles either.
Mike, when I said "we could debate how much skill is needed to properly rig and use isolated doubles or a pony bottle," I was saying that the actions of choosing and rigging an isolated, redundant gas bottle and gas delivery system could be considered a technical skill. Or not.

MikeFerrara:
In the case of independents there's the differences in gas management. Then there's the fact that gas management is rarely taught in recreational classes beyond telling students to get back on the boat with 500 psi.
Excellent point. In my post I failed to take into account what some recreational divers would have to learn in order to solo more than once. On that basis I would agree that solo diving is technical.

Bryan

MikeFerrara:
...from what I see of the posts in our solo forum there are a bunch of divers who aren't thinking things through.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know it.
Serious question, Mike. Can you be more specific? What aren't solo divers thinking through? What don't they know that they don't know?
You're right, there is more talk about the best way to sling a pony than actual skills. When this forum first began, I started a thread called, "Skills - keeping in shape for solo diving", where I asked solo divers to list skills that needed to be honed for solo diving. There were 4 replies, and then the thread quickly slipped away to page 2.
As of this post, the four threads below this one are:
Negligent Instructor?
My Dive Plans
Spare Air & Pony Tank
Sidemount

In this thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/t69684-my-dive-plans.html , you responded to Dorsetboy with some very valid questions, which everyone, including Dorseteboy, ignored.

So seriously, Mike, help us out here. What, exactly, aren't solo divers thinking through? What don't they know that they don't know?

Solo diving in recreational limits has zero to do with technical diving. Slinging a bail out cylinder does in no way put any diving in a technical diving class.

There are no advanced skills that you should not have down by the time you wish to solo dive. Swimming and breathing is not technical.

The fact is, if your diving either with a buddy or solo, you should carry some type of self rescue bailout cylinder. Never count on a dive buddy to save your butt!

Rick Inman:
Serious question, Mike. Can you be more specific? What aren't solo divers thinking through? What don't they know that they don't know?
You're right, there is more talk about the best way to sling a pony than actual skills. When this forum first began, I started a thread called, "Skills - keeping in shape for solo diving", where I asked solo divers to list skills that needed to be honed for solo diving. There were 4 replies, and then the thread quickly slipped away to page 2.
As of this post, the four threads below this one are:
Negligent Instructor?
My Dive Plans
Spare Air & Pony Tank
Sidemount

In this thread, http://www.scubaboard.com/t69684-my-dive-plans.html , you responded to Dorsetboy with some very valid questions, which everyone, including Dorseteboy, ignored.

So seriously, Mike, help us out here. What, exactly, aren't solo divers thinking through? What don't they know that they don't know?

Let's take it back to your skills thread. It'll be tomawrrow for me though.

Curt Bowen:
Solo diving in recreational limits has zero to do with technical diving. Slinging a bail out cylinder does in no way put any diving in a technical diving class.

There are no advanced skills that you should not have down by the time you wish to solo dive. Swimming and breathing is not technical.

The fact is, if your diving either with a buddy or solo, you should carry some type of self rescue bailout cylinder. Never count on a dive buddy to save your butt!

Define technical diving.

Why would it possibly matter?

"Technical diving" is a poor term at best. There's absolutely no reason for the designation. If you have appropriate training in cave, wreck, deep - whatever subcategory of "technical" diving, that is what is important. It does not matter if you are considered a "technical diver" or not. Are you a cave diver? If you are, you're qualified to dive caves. Are you a wreck diver? If you are, you're qualified to dive wrecks. Are you a trimix diver? If you are, you're qualified to dive with trimix. Are you a technical diver? If you are, I have no idea what you might be qualified to dive, it imparts no useful information.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom