Is Solo diving a category of Technical diving?

What do you consider Solo diving to be:

• A form of technical diving.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Advanced diving but not to the degree of technical.

Votes: 61 52.1%
  • Just another alternative to buddy diving.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • A type of diving that should never be done.

Votes: 6 5.1%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't think it's technical. But, Solo is a LOT more advanced diving than most divers can do.

Think about what they typical OWD is taught, and their skill level. IMHO, it's PATHETIC! We've tried so long as an industry to portray diving as an "anyone can do it" sport, that MANY folks try it that shouldn't. The general recreational public is just not going to take the time to work on the skills, and get the experience, to dive safely. They want to take a 1-weekend OWD class, so they can dive on vacation every two or three years. Maybe the state of the training, and equipment, and the controlled dive environments of many operators make this safe enough for Jonh (and Jane) Q Public to go 50 or 100 feet into a lethal environment. But I don't know.

So is Solo technical? I think technical diving is diving in non-recreational, non "standard" type environments (overhead primarily), where specialized skills are needed, and also special equipment.

Solo requires skills that MOST divers don't have, but it's things maybe they SHOULD be able to do. So maybe solo is what rec diving SHOULD be?

=Steve=

Walter:
Why would it possibly matter?

"Technical diving" is a poor term at best. There's absolutely no reason for the designation. If you have appropriate training in cave, wreck, deep - whatever subcategory of "technical" diving, that is what is important. It does not matter if you are considered a "technical diver" or not. Are you a cave diver? If you are, you're qualified to dive caves. Are you a wreck diver? If you are, you're qualified to dive wrecks. Are you a trimix diver? If you are, you're qualified to dive with trimix. Are you a technical diver? If you are, I have no idea what you might be qualified to dive, it imparts no useful information.

I agree that a term without a clear definition is useless as I mentioned in my first post. What I am saying, which will answer your question, is that an ill defined term could be harmful. If tech is considered by most to be higher risk/ higher degree of difficulty diving over "standard" rec., then excluding a certain type of diving which I would argue fits under such a definition, can mislead some into a false sense of security because they will not be aware of the additional danger such diving exposes them to. The realization that additional steps need to be taken to mitigate such dangers will not be realized either. Such a term leaves room for degrees of difficulty. This is where the lines of definition get blurry. However, lacking a precise definition for tech one is unable to either include or exclude - just about any type of diving. I've been mulling this definition and will post my thoughts in the near future for critique.

By the way, my post to Curt Bowen was not intended as bait on a hook or similar intention. As the publisher of an advanced open water (rec?) and tech diver magazine, I was hoping he could shed some light on the issue. Obviously this would be open to varying criticism dependant on the strength of the argument.

Getting into this forum now is more tech than anything else.

Curt Bowen:
Solo diving in recreational limits has zero to do with technical diving. Slinging a bail out cylinder does in no way put any diving in a technical diving class.

There are no advanced skills that you should not have down by the time you wish to solo dive. Swimming and breathing is not technical.

The fact is, if your diving either with a buddy or solo, you should carry some type of self rescue bailout cylinder. Never count on a dive buddy to save your butt!

It might not seem technical at first glance but think about what most divers are being taught in recreational training.

Scuba:
By the way, my post to Curt Bowen was not intended as bait on a hook or similar intention.

Hi Scuba

We have already had a discussion about the tech-definition. Curt gave following definition:

"Definition: Technical Dive: A dive where immediate exit to the surface is restricted due to extreme distance or extensive decompression obligations." (http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=52389&page=9&pp=10)

It's really worth reading...

hm, I would consider it very advanced (which may also be called technical).
As for the education that a typical rec. diver gets, I would ask you: Do you think that people know how to drive a car after they just finish their driving class? (the answer is the same for the divers) Should they drive a car anyway? (or should new divers dive?) How can they become safer drivers (divers) if not by driving?
I know that we shouldn't take any chances if we can to avoid danger, but we still do it (every day) and stay alive...

hvulin:
hm, I would consider it very advanced (which may also be called technical).
As for the education that a typical rec. diver gets, I would ask you: Do you think that people know how to drive a car after they just finish their driving class? (the answer is the same for the divers) Should they drive a car anyway? (or should new divers dive?) How can they become safer drivers (divers) if not by driving?
I know that we shouldn't take any chances if we can to avoid danger, but we still do it (every day) and stay alive...

My answer would be that driver training is a joke and so is typical diver training.

While no new diver will be experienced they can certainly have the physical skills mastered far better than what is typical.

That's probably why in addition to driver training that I took in school my father insisted that I go learn a few things with him BEFORE I was turned loose. Experience on the road has to be gained on the road While the physical skills involved in handling a car can be learned before ever getting on a road.

But...I guess that's why I see so many cars in ditches every time it rains or snows...and they're not new drivers either...just drivers who never learned because they don't know what it is that they need to know.

The same with diving. Most dive training doesn't prepare a diver well to go out and dive with a buddy or even a supervised resort group. It certainly doesn't even scratch the surface of teaching the attitude and skill that a solo diver should have...in my opinion of course.

Curt Bowen:
Solo diving in recreational limits has zero to do with technical diving. Slinging a bail out cylinder does in no way put any diving in a technical diving class.

There are no advanced skills that you should not have down by the time you wish to solo dive. Swimming and breathing is not technical.

The fact is, if your diving either with a buddy or solo, you should carry some type of self rescue bailout cylinder. Never count on a dive buddy to save your butt!

Page 7 of Decompression prococedures,theory, equipment and procedures, TDI states " Buddies do not always have the same deco schedule, so you may be above or below your buddy, dependent on yourself, not someone else." and" The techniques that your instuctor will instill in you are self-reliance and competence to perform the dive"

This would put solo diving in the crossover to tech diving catagory.

On the other hand, If you bring a pony bottle for when you go ooa ,than you have not done the proper planning to even think this is technical

novadiver:
Page 7 of Decompression prococedures,theory, equipment and procedures, TDI states " Buddies do not always have the same deco schedule, so you may be above or below your buddy, dependent on yourself, not someone else." and" The techniques that your instuctor will instill in you are self-reliance and competence to perform the dive"

This would put solo diving in the crossover to tech diving catagory.

On the other hand, If you bring a pony bottle for when you go ooa ,than you have not done the proper planning to even think this is technical

My buddy always has the same schedule as me.

MikeFerrara:
My buddy always has the same schedule as me.

Is that because that's your gas in their tanks? :)

After a deep stop , I try to remember my social sec. number or my phone number in reverse order. If my brain can't do this, I feel I still have not cleaned out enough N2 so I add a min. Sometimes buddies need to move on .

novadiver:
After a deep stop , I try to remember my social sec. number or my phone number in reverse order. If my brain can't do this, on .

how do you know if you've got it wrong???? :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom