"Is that BLOOD coming from your ear?"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
i dont think you should have made that second dive...
any time blood is coming from any hole in my body i stop what i'm doing...
luckily i have only bled from three out of six.
I gotta' ask how you find a 2-1/2 year old thread to post on? :11:

Tight hood, ruptured blood vessel, swimmer's ear, all in play possible. Equalize more often, vinegar & alcohol after after dive and shower! :thumb: This old farm boy had the same problem at Rockwall, similar outcome before the meds kicked in. Missed a couple days of work. I wonder if freshwater is more threatening that salt water?

DandyDon:

Tight hood, ruptured blood vessel, swimmer's ear, all in play possible. Equalize more often, vinegar & alcohol after after dive and shower! :thumb: This old farm boy had the same problem at Rockwall, similar outcome before the meds kicked in. Missed a couple days of work. I wonder if freshwater is more threatening that salt water?

it came to me
i didnt know how old it was
like my last girlfriend. old can be good

looking back, that's a really good question.....how did i get here?!?! im going to start looking at dates.

DandyDon:

He was watching Young Frankenstein and when they reached this scene...he reading the thread...:D

Medical Student: But as a Fronkensteen, aren't you the least bit curious about it? Doesn't the bringing back to life what was once dead hold any intrigue to you?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind! Dead is dead!

and when they reached this scene...he revived the thread...:D

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GIVE MY CREATION... LIFE!

PaulChristenson:
He was watching Young Frankenstein and when they reached this scene...he reading the thread...:D

Medical Student: But as a Fronkensteen, aren't you the least bit curious about it? Doesn't the bringing back to life what was once dead hold any intrigue to you?
Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: You are talking about the nonsensical ravings of a lunatic mind! Dead is dead!

and when they reached this scene...he revived the thread...:D

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GIVE MY CREATION... LIFE!
24.gif

oops . . . posted without noting how old the thread was.

TSandM:
It's quite possible that this started with barotrauma and damage to vessels in the external auditory canal. The skin of the canal is fragile and prone to infection when injured. One of the most common organisms causing external otitis is very resistant to most ordinary antibiotics, and I would most likely have either not prescribed antibiotics at all at the beginning, or used the drops to begin with. The description of the significant swelling of the canal is extremely consistent with the diagnosis of external otitis.
Really?! I thought these problems always started deeper inside....?

How does one injure - and avoid injuring - this area...?

TSandM:
It's quite possible that this started with barotrauma and damage to vessels in the external auditory canal. The skin of the canal is fragile and prone to infection when injured. One of the most common organisms causing external otitis is very resistant to most ordinary antibiotics, ..snip..

I got a bad case of this last year and they perscribed Ciprodex. Yes folks, that's basically the stuff they use to treat Anthrax exposure. Needless to say it worked great and costs about a million dollars an ounce. Thank you good Doctor for the free samples.

Well, I guess several people read my post before I removed it . . . Probably the most common way of injuring the external auditory canal is by inserting something in it (eg. vigorous attempts with a Q-tip to remove wax). However, it also macerates easily when persistently wet (thus "swimmer's ear"). I would have thought that barotrauma would injure the middle ear structures prior to damaging the epithelium of the canal, but perhaps a seal against the hood created a closed chamber effect in this case.

TSandM:
Well, I guess several people read my post before I removed it . . . Probably the most common way of injuring the external auditory canal is by inserting something in it (eg. vigorous attempts with a Q-tip to remove wax). However, it also macerates easily when persistently wet (thus "swimmer's ear"). I would have thought that barotrauma would injure the middle ear structures prior to damaging the epithelium of the canal, but perhaps a seal against the hood created a closed chamber effect in this case.
Yes, it's an old thread, but this is why old threads are available on SB - to learn from. Your posts are always helpful, sorry you wanted to remove yours, but I'd really like to leave my quote of it. Very informative.

Back
Top Bottom