Is the Dengue risk any worse this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used Off Clean and Dry.....going with something more heavy duty next time. Yes Don, most survive DHV but at the moment, I was never so sick in my my life, no exaggeration. The only good result was the 15 lb weight loss just in time for our live aboard vacation.
I am a big believer that if there are any doubts in your mind about whether or not nit can go in your carry on, put it into your checked bag.
:hmmm: I don't know that one? Yeah, I've heard that DHF is not often deadly but you don't care at the time. At least you are immune to that variety now I guess, but yeah - go with 20-40% DEET. :thumb:

:hmmm: I don't know that one? Yeah, I've heard that DHF is not often deadly but you don't care at the time. At least you are immune to that variety now I guess, but yeah - go with 20-40% DEET. :thumb:

Doesn't that mean the other strains are now more likely to be even worse?

The Drs told me I was not immune from dengue in the future.

This from world health org
It is possible to get dengue more than once. Dengue can occur because of 4 different but related strains of dengue virus. If a person has suffered from one virus, there can be a repeat occurrence of dengue if a different strain is involved subsequently. Being affected by one strain offers no protection against the others. A person could suffer from dengue more than once in her/his lifetime.
Dengue/DHF - FAQ

I have some sort of sensitivity or allergy to products that contain a high percentage of DEET. My skin looks burned and itches for days. When visiting Roatan in Jan. I brought with me a spray containing 20% Picaradin and did not get a single sand flea or mosquite bite. The manufacturers boast that it is odorless but in all honestly when first applied it had a mild wet dog smell. This seemed to be mitigated after applying lemon-eucalyptus spray on my ankles. Both the picaridin and eucalyptus spray were ordered on Amazon. I cannot using anything else.

When is the typical rainy season on Cozumel? How significant is the threat during the non-rainy season (whenever that is)? I'm planning a trip for late February, and want to prepare, but don't want to over-prepare for a potentially non-existent threat. Thanks.

When is the typical rainy season on Cozumel? How significant is the threat during the non-rainy season (whenever that is)? I'm planning a trip for late February, and want to prepare, but don't want to over-prepare for a potentially non-existent threat. Thanks.
I guess Coz gets more rains during hurricane season, don't know if they have a dry season, but the mosquitoes should be in winter dormancy in February. I always carry at least one can of insect repellent just in case tho.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom