Is the G15 more camera then what I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving for almost 3 years and have 70 dives. For the past 50 or so, I've been toting an Intova IC12 with me, which cost about $200 for the case and housing.

I'm ready to take the next step and on my recent dive trip, I rented a G10, which I loved. My favorite feature is the manual white balance (where you aim it at your slate to set it at depth.) I would also like to take videos, but I do mostly still. I am also looking for something relatively small and am not planning to add a tray or strobes. Price is also a consideration.

I ordered a G15, but am considering returning it and getting an S110. I'm wondering if I'm still planning to use only the manual white balance for wide angle and then on-board flash and the macro setting for macro, is it worth the extra cost and the extra size of the G15. I'm not sure if I'd ever start fiddling with the other settings. Does the S110 have the manual white balance I love? How is the macro with the on-board flash & diffuser? Is the video much worse than that of G15?

I'd love to hear what you'd think. I'd likely get either with the Canon house for either due to cost consideration.

Thanks!

I'm pretty sure both cameras have the same features, the g15 has more manual controls/dials/buttons, the s110 has those controls available through the interface.

I would get a camera that has FULL MANUAL CONTROLS. As you get into diving more, and photography, you'll want full manual.

As for flash, you really should use one (or two). The Canon G1X has a hot shoe for one, and you can get decent Ikelite housings for the camera ( I still have my G-9 and flashes, even though I shoot a 5D MkII now). Go for the biggest and latest sensor (the Digic IV).

In UW photography (and all photography), it's all about the light.

I have a G11 and an S90. I like them both and they each have their good points:

The G series is very good for macro above and below the surface. In order to exploit it's macro potential fully underwater a strobe would be a great help especially with the metal UW cases. I have seen some magnificent images (can remember who) of a g canon in the canon case using the camera flash. They had a jerry built flash reflector to get light on subjects immediately in front of the camera. You can add one or two macro wet lenses and really get close - I mean pygmy seahorse close (minimal cropping). Above the surface I like to use my G11 for macro insect, flower and food closeups - a lot closer than my s90.

The S series isn't as good top side with macro I have the S90 which has a different lense than the newest in the series but I don't think the longer lense has improved it's macro performance. The S series in a plastic canon case will work better using the camera's flash as the lense "port" or bump out will not interfere with the light from it's flash even if you get real close. This camera also makes for a very small package to travel with and it easily goes in a shirt pocket to take anywhere with better quality images than your average cell phone. There is some wider angle potential underwater with metal cases and add on wide angle wet lenses. With wet lenses you can go from macro to wide angle in the same dive - you can't do that with a dslr.

So it depends on where you want to go with your photography. I certainly would like to step up to something better than the G series canon but I don't think I've explored all it's potential yet nor do I take it under enough to justify that next step.

Search posts by Nemrod and Interceptor121 - They both have been exporing the potential of S series canon cameras.

i'd save some $$ and get the G12 or S100...or the LX7. nothing really, drastically better in the 110 or 15. The 12, 100 and even the new LX7 can be had cheap.

Love my g 12 with recsea housing and YS-01 strobe. I understand the 15 is not as good for macro but that is something I just read, have not experienced it.

Recommendation look if you can find a reduced price Fisheye fix or recsea housing for the Canon S100 and if yes buy the S100 and this housing
If you don't find anything from what you read you are anyway better off with an S series as they are easier to carry around.
Check this album to see what the old S95 could do Raja Ampat - a set on Flickr

The G has a better battery life when using flash than the S series. On my G10 there were times I could 3 dives without changing my battery.... I use a stobe and keep my camera' flash at the lowest setting.

If you want something small with a small housing, get the S100 over the 110... no need for a touch screen lcd underwater.

The macro on G15 is better than the G12 and the AF is faster as well.

I would get a camera that has FULL MANUAL CONTROLS. As you get into diving more, and photography, you'll want full manual.

As for flash, you really should use one (or two). The Canon G1X has a hot shoe for one, and you can get decent Ikelite housings for the camera ( I still have my G-9 and flashes, even though I shoot a 5D MkII now). Go for the biggest and latest sensor (the Digic IV).

In UW photography (and all photography), it's all about the light.
Just a detail, but the digic IV is not the sensor but the image processor..
The G15, S110 and G1 X all have the Digic V processor and the G15 and S110 both have 1/1,7 image sensors while the G1 X has a 18,7x14mm sensor (MUCH larger than G15 and S110)

I had the g10 but lost it to water damage, operator error. I now have the g12 but believe the g15 is a better camera based on the specs. I also use the canon housing and have no complaints.

I understand your desire to avoid a strobe and i have found the raw feature of the series very helpful in correcting color distortion and low light conditions that occur underwater. I rarely bother with manually setting the white balance while diving.

i am not familiar with thw s series but I doubt the slight decrease in size from the g series would be worth the loss of features and options for more sophisticated photography that you may desire in the near future.

Just some thoughts from an admittedly very amateur photographer.

Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom