Is the G15 more camera then what I need?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks all for your thought on this. I really like the idea of the G15 having a battery that lasts. Sometimes I'll do 3 tanks in a row and I don't want to have to swap batteries on a smaller boat.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I have been using the G7, but Im upgrading it at the moment, but more to the point is Ive tried not to change anything as long as I dont HAVE to between dives when it come to my camera equipment. A strand of hair, a grain of sand or whaterver small and inconspicous can ruin your day. And thats before considering things like slippy fingers dropping something or an unexpected splashing wave..
Of course battery also tend to weigh a little and lugging dive gear around, every bit of weight counts - untill youre dumb enough to do like me and get a dslr and blow the weight limits to smitherines and have to book extra luggage in the first place :p

The G15 has a 28mm equivalent lens in water this gives just 54 degrees coverage. No close focus wide angle is possible with such narrow field of view. The G series is a proven choice for macro photography but because of the zoom lens there are no affordable lenses for wide angle.
If you dive in area where there are no macro subjects you will take less and less shots and you can even do 5 dives with the camera but how good is to have an underwater camera that cannot take any relevant pictures???

I use both a Canon 5d mark 2 and a Canon S90 for underwater photography.
I chose the S90 due to the compact size. With my aluminum housing it easily fits in any BCD pockets meaning I can take it along even on dives when I cannot take pictures. I also take it as a second camera on dives with the 5d as this can be useful to shoot non-macro or non wide-angle. The image quality is great and I am very satisfied with using this one rather than one of the G series... The G would take too much room for my use.
I also chose to purchase the S100 when it was time for a first camera for my partner. The S series has all the modes you need underwater. The lens may be the only thing that lags a bit behind the G series but in my opinion the control wheels in the front of the lens and in the back make up for it since all controls are so easily accessible. This is even more of a necessity under water. Make sure you get a housing that allows operation of both those controls under water, i.e. not Canon!

Enjoy your new camera in any way. Both the G and S series are great!

The G15 has a 28mm equivalent lens in water this gives just 54 degrees coverage. No close focus wide angle is possible with such narrow field of view. The G series is a proven choice for macro photography but because of the zoom lens there are no affordable lenses for wide angle.
If you dive in area where there are no macro subjects you will take less and less shots and you can even do 5 dives with the camera but how good is to have an underwater camera that cannot take any relevant pictures???
The G15 is 28-140mm equivalent, but the S110 is only 24-120mm equivalent, its not THAT much of a difference..
Also to note is that the G15 and S110 has a close zoom limit of 1cm and 3cm respectively while the G1 X is 20cm and the G1 X is "only" a 28-112mm equivalent lens..

As far as "cant take pictures with 28mm other than macro" thing.. Im pretty sure that out of the 4000 or so pictures Ive taken with my G7 wich is a 35-210mm equivalent lens I have atleast few hundred pictures that wont qualify as macro.
Theres a whole world of photography between extreme macro and fisheye..

The G15 is 28-140mm equivalent, but the S110 is only 24-120mm equivalent, its not THAT much of a difference..
Also to note is that the G15 and S110 has a close zoom limit of 1cm and 3cm respectively while the G1 X is 20cm and the G1 X is "only" a 28-112mm equivalent lens..

As far as "cant take pictures with 28mm other than macro" thing.. Im pretty sure that out of the 4000 or so pictures Ive taken with my G7 wich is a 35-210mm equivalent lens I have atleast few hundred pictures that wont qualify as macro.
Theres a whole world of photography between extreme macro and fisheye..

Anybody that takes pictures underwater knows that you need a wide angle lens, I am not suggesting that the 24 lens of the S100 is adequate with its 60 degrees underwater however there are plenty of fisheye wet lenses option for the S series
With the G series you need to buy a dome just to get 75 degrees that is insufficient for many purposes

Wet lenses are essential as they allow you to get closer to the subject and make the use of strobe effective

With a lens with 55 degrees you need to be so far away from the reef that the strobe is not effective so despite the fact that the G series are a great camera they remain good just for macro and very far away shots in natural light

A set up should be able to expand as you progress and I feel the G series does not actually offer that option

If you were diving in the philippines every day I would consider a G camera as all you shoot is macro but it does get boring not being able even to do some close focus wide angle for which you need a fish eye

The equation is simple does the camera offer (an affordable) fisheye wet lens option? If the answer is no this camera is not worth buying as long term investment

If you want a "long term investment" that is "expandable" you are talking about system cameras with changeable lenses and its a TOTALLY differnent realm than someone asking if a G15 is more camera than they need.
For the vast majority of "vacation divers" a setup like the G15/S110 is more than good enough and they will enjoy it just as much below water as above.

Just the fact that you mention "strobe" makes the setup twice the cost of what the OP is talking about and the op specifically said strobes was NOT being considered and cost was a factor..

my point here is that there is nothing the G15 can do siginficantly better than the G12 (even G11) or S100/95 can't when it comes to capturing photos. there's just not much of an improvement to spend an extra $200 for it versus the G12 in my opinion.

Just the fact that you mention "strobe" makes the setup twice the cost of what the OP is talking about and the op specifically said strobes was NOT being considered and cost was a factor..

When you start diving you say I will never buy full gear...then you do

When you start taking photos you say I will never buy a strobe...then you do

There is no much point buying a camera that can't take a wide wet lens ever, it is just a waste of money

Even if the OP was buying an S series in a Canon housing the set up would be more future proof why limit yourself to shooting just close ups?

And you don't need system cameras with lenses inside the housing the Sony RX100 is a proof that those camera are pretty much dead end when it comes to UW photography pretty soon

When you start diving you say I will never buy full gear...then you do

When you start taking photos you say I will never buy a strobe...then you do

There is no much point buying a camera that can't take a wide wet lens ever, it is just a waste of money

Even if the OP was buying an S series in a Canon housing the set up would be more future proof why limit yourself to shooting just close ups?

And you don't need system cameras with lenses inside the housing the Sony RX100 is a proof that those camera are pretty much dead end when it comes to UW photography pretty soon
This kind of macro / close ups thats Ive shot with the even older G7??
CRW_1109.jpg
CRW_1034.jpg
CRW_1881.jpg
CRW_1828.jpg
Granted theire not my best shots, just a few quickly and randomly selected, but if thats macro I agree with you, the G series only work for macro..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom