Is the s100 in the Ikelite housing indeed FULLY manual?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I looked at the buttons layout there is no S button anymore on the S100
So the only option is the CHDk hack to override probably that takes away the ring button entirely though
I wonder if the property case is different from the S95 and my script still works

I have the S100, if you want to adjust the shutter speed in Manual mode whilst its in either the Canon or Ikelite housings its very easy, press & hold down the ring function button whilst pressing the left (macro) or right (flash) buttons, it was explained to me before I bought the camera & the shop made it sound really hard to master, I think they thought it was the centre button (func set) and left or right which it deff isnt.
I have had no probs & I dive in the uk with 5mm gloves on.
Mark.

I am thinking about getting the s100 / Ikelite housing. I was just told that in that housing the camera is not really fully manual. I want to easily be able to change the ISO, Aperture, and Shutter speed. Can I access all the manual functions of the s100 with the Ikelite housing?

Thanks
Karen

Hi Karen,

I know this is probably too late to reply, but thought I'd post for any future readers.
Just sending my Ikelite S100 Housing back. Leaked twice (O-ring in place and greased as I have always done). The zoom function on it is very awkward to operate as there is not a spring in the housing so you have to turn the knob at the top and turn it back again for zooming in and out. Very frustrating and will really take some getting used to, if at all:-(.
Also, I found the shoot button is awkward to use. I found getting the right balance between focus and shoot difficult.
The rest of the buttons are very difficult to use with thicker gloves on due to the close proximity to one another.
Not fully functional.
It's almost as though it was designed & manufactured much too quickly and without proper testing or much thought process. I personally would advise everyone to try one out first and probably consider another option. I've ordered a RecSea housing....just hoping it is a lot better than the Ikelite Housing.
Thank You to Underwater Cameras for being so understanding and helpful BTW:)

I hope all went well with your choice of camera/housing:)

HTH
Darren

Isn't it S and the front dial? The ikelite housing doesn't have access to the rear dial so I imagine the work around would involve the front dial.

if you press the S button then toggle the left and right button [ie the macro and the flash button on the housing] it will change either the f/stop or SS depending on what you have set it for, the front wheel can also do the same. you decide what you want the front wheel to be set for [ie ss fstop] and the other setting is changed via the S button. it is no where near as easy as a rear wheel which is why the recsea is well worth the money in my books

CUW are great!!!
I kind of think they should stop carrying these Ike housings as they are causing too many people too many issues

Thank You to Underwater Cameras for being so understanding and helpful BTW:)

Ikelite is a good brand and does provide high quality polycarbonate housing

Personally I have never seen a lot of added value of an ikelite compared to a canon whenever an inon lens mount is available
However on some models ikelite is the only brand to offer an housing that can use wet lenses
Unfortunately as cameras get smaller and smaller the buttons get closer and more complex and the tolerances of the manufacturing process don't seem to keep up
Otherwise a serious brand that does produce good equipment for the entry level uw photo amateur

Thanks for all your info on the Ikelite housing. My housing decision was made when I won a Fisheye Fix housing in an underwater photo contest! Can't wait to play with my new toy!

Congratulations for being lucky. Do use CHDK. I am one of the old SP350 users that upgraded to S100. I was very leary about not having the TTL in M mode that so many Oly users were used to. I think you will be very happy with the fact that the Fisheye (and Recsea) housings give you access to all of the controls, including front ring and rear wheel......a deficiency, IMO, in the Ike and canon housings

CHDK will give you vrtually complete manual control and you can have custom settings and TTL (if you want it)

A handfull of people on this board are using...so reach out if you have issues with it.....thanks to some guidance from Inetrceptor121, I have my S100/FIX with CHDK to the same comfort level I had with my (now backup) SP350

Also, consider investing in some lens options for the housing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom