Is the Superferry kaput?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Barry Goode

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm going to Maui April 4th and planned on taking the superferry over to Oahu to see the Arizona w/o having to fly & screw up my dive plans.

Now I'm seeing all this news online that sounds like the Hawaiian courts have grounded the superferry until an environmental impact study can be done.

Does anyone have any info on whether it will be running again by April?

If it isn't, are there any other practical means of visiting Oahu from Maui w/o flying?

Thanks!

Barry:crafty:

very doubtful it will be running for at least a year unless they win their appeal (which doesn't look real promising :( ) and while I would love to see them start up again (soon) I will be surprised if they come back at all ... this state has really mistreated them badly... sure hope I'm wrong though.

Tim

I will be surprised if they come back at all ... this state has really mistreated them badly...

...Guess you have to be a glutton for punishment to try doing business in this state ...

Tim,

You have said this more than once, that in your opinion the State treated HSF badly. Those of us opposed to corrupt politics and warmonger profiteers who expect preferential treatment from the good ol' boys (or girls) are happy the Law is finally being followed. There have been way too many lies and omissions from HSF for them to ever be considered pono by anyone who actually researches the whole slimy saga

If what Irene Bowie states in her letter to the editor in today's Maui News is true; this quote shows us who to really blame for their troubles; HSF made a decision to use a lie to force the State and Lingle to make a bad judgement.

Irene Bowie:
From discussions with DOT as far back as 2004 Hawaii Superferry knew that the likelihood of an environmental assessment was great and that performing such a study would most likely trigger a full-blown EIS and involve more time than they cared to spend before beginning operations.

The state auditor's report found that, under pressure from Hawaii Superferry, the DOT exempted the ferry's harbor improvements, namely the problem-plagued barge system, in order to meet a purported federal deadline of June 30, 2005. This deadline "drove the process" and pushed the state to bypass the long-discussed possibility of environmental review. Superferry officials claimed the deadline was imposed by the U.S. Maritime Administration as a provision of its loan guarantees. In reality, the deadline was part of an agreement between Hawaii Superferry and Austal USA, the Alakai's shipbuilder.

HSF still has never released any ticket revenue numbers, and many believe their gross revenues might have been insufficient to even cover the cost of the fuel, but definitely not enough to cover employee wages. They were destined to fail as a civilian ferry, some say even planned to fail. I'd love to see what the executive compensation packages were?

very doubtful it will be running for at least a year unless they win their appeal (which doesn't look real promising :( ) and while I would love to see them start up again (soon) I will be surprised if they come back at all ... this state has really mistreated them badly... sure hope I'm wrong though.

Tim

Based on what I've read in the papers, I think Kidspot is right. It is a real shame. Huge amounts of money invested (by all parties, including the State apparently). Major screw-up by the State. Either they should have required the EIS up front (which I'm guessing is what the law required), or waived it and stuck by their decision. Not jerked the Super Ferry (and public) around like is happening now. Sigh.

So to answer you question, if you want to travel from Maui to Oahu you'll be flying.

Best wishes.

Plus I heard about 200 more citizens have lost there job due to this closure. Is this right?

Yeah, the Super Ferry is done. A friend of mine works on the boat and is debating whether to leave with the boat or find another job. I think it is a terrible decision to force them out, and will cancel my plans to visit Maui for a dive week. If I have to fly, I'll go somewhere else.
I'd like to see the environmental impact of all the shipping in and out of HI's harbors, not just from the vessel that some don't want.

Yeah, the Super Ferry is done. A friend of mine works on the boat and is debating whether to leave with the boat or find another job. I think it is a terrible decision to force them out, and will cancel my plans to visit Maui for a dive week. If I have to fly, I'll go somewhere else.
I'd like to see the environmental impact of all the shipping in and out of HI's harbors, not just from the vessel that some don't want.

I think some of the concerns raised by environmentalists were certainly very valid; and some of the "strain on limited infrastructure" concerns were also valid; but some of the environmental concerns were a case of trying to close the barn door after the horse was already gone (and had been gone for years).... ships and barges have been moving vehicles and cargo interisland forever.

I briefly sailed as a 2nd mate on interisland tug & barge operations for Dillingham in the '80s, and as a 3rd Mate on tankers running from Barbers Point to Valdez Alaska and back. I think many of the environmental concerns raised about the Super Ferry applies equally to ALL commercial shipping. The only difference I see is the speed that the ferry can transport cargo and vehicles between islands: hours instead of over night for the longer transits, and the increased speed does raise whale-strike concerns that a lookout or altered routes during whale season may not have mitigated.

Beyond that concern? I'm not sure that the other problems could not have been solved.... but it all should have been looked at and handled, either with an EIS or other means in advance, not after the Supper Ferry began operations. That is the bottom line problem I have with how this was handled, regardless who the real culprit is.

Best wishes.

The pressures put on by the anti-ferry crowd on Maui reminds me of the jerks with the "keep the north country, country" bumper stickers here on Oahu. Translated as I don't want development spoiling my view. I saw a funny bumper sticker that said. "keep the city getto, getto" That about sums up the impact of the anti-progress/development crowd.

I think it is a terrible decision to force them out, and will cancel my plans to visit Maui for a dive week. If I have to fly, I'll go somewhere else.
Yes, that will be my plan for the future as well. No more trips to Maui.
Been pointed out many times. Does not fit the agenda so it gets ignored. Like the brown sludge floating around Kona from the cruise ships. Instead we have idiots wringing their hands about depleted uranium dust and about how the whole SF thing is a conspiracy by the military and must be stopped.

I went on the Alakai once, and was impressed with the smooth operation. There was no impact on local traffic, just not that many cars, and they are controlled as to not come out in a clump. The ship hardly bogs down harbor operation, that one is really a stretch. The vehicle inspection was extremely thorough, to the point of being almost excessive (IMO). Most of the passengers looked to be family, going or returning from visits, and small contractors able to expand their business to other islands.

Nice going, hope you that opposed the SF enjoy your little victory.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom