Is the xs scuba tri-metal dangerous

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huh? if it's an authorized dealer that sold it, it doesn't matter if it's sold online or in person with most manufacturers.

From what I've read, SP doesn't authorize online sales. The transaction supposedly must be F2F. Every online site selling SP regs that I've looked at was not on SP's "authorized dealer" list.

You might be able to find a good deal online and there might be no problem with warranty. I'm just saying that based on what I've read, If you purchase their products online, they may deny the warranty. YMMV.

Any tech who tells you the tri-metal is dangerous is an idiot. I have used the tri-metal as deep as 200ft and have had no problems. The first stage was designed by the same engineer who used to work for Scubapro and it is basically a copy of the Mark 10- which I still think is the best 1st stage Scubapro has ever made. Do not walk away from that store run.
Also would love to hear how he tested the reg at depth? A flow bench can simulate different tank pressure but the first stage would have to in a chamber to simulate depth.

I have been using a xs tri-metal regulator for about a year and half. I took it to get serviced at my LDS in Franklin, TN. When I took it in the tech said that he had serviced a bunch of them and that they were "dangerous" at depth. Not uncomfortable but flat out dangerous. When I got the reg back he said that he had confirmed on the bench that the breathing effort would increase substantially at 60 ft and that at 100 ft it would be "very difficult" to breath. My finance picked the reg up so she is freaking out and asked him if he could fix the problem and he said that he can't because it is inherent in the design.

Here is the thing, I have been 100 feet deep with that regulator several times and hardly notice any difference in breathing effort. In fact it is the most comfortable regulators that I have used and I have never had a free flow from the primary or the octo which is xs as well. The LDS sells mainly scuba-pro and they pretty much tell you that everything else is cheap junk, unless it’s a cheap aqua-lung, which they also sell and describe as “a good regulator for the money.” I realize that the LDS wants to sell its equipment, but I hope that they would not call something dangerous just to make a sale. My next reg probably will be a scuba pro because you do not have to pay for parts when you have it serviced. However I would probably buy it online as that would save two to three hundred dollars.

Everything I have read on this board describes the XS as a great regulator and that has been my experience with it as well. I was wondering if anyone else has heard that it was dangerous or had any bad experiences with it at depth. Does anyone know why it would perform poorly on the bench test? I don’t think that the tech would have made that up and I saw a copy of the test results.

I have two Tri-Metals that I have had for about three years. They have performed flawlessly on several hundred dives and many at depths well over 100 feet. I also have a couple of MK 25 S600's and can't say that I can tell any difference in their performance. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one.

The shop I teach through is a Platinum Scuba Pro dealer and we also order parts from XS Scuba and have not had any problems getting rebuid kits for these regs. I just bought three new rebuilt kits for the Tri Metals as I plan on taking them to Mexico and leaving them.

Can I ask who makes the Tri Metal. I doubt XS Scuba manufactures regulators.

IDI used to manufacturer them... until about 2004. I'm sure the OEM'd them out to someone else though for the castings, etc.

XS Scuba bought them somewhere in the 2004 time frame. (someone correct me if I'm wrong on the date).

I'm sure they are made now by an OEM like ODS or similar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom