is there a canon compact with raw?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hvulin

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The subject says it all... Is there a compact Canon camera that supports RAW and has a 40m rated Canon case? My old S45 flooded so I'm looking for replacement!

I have Inon D2000 which I'd like to reuse and macro and WA lens which would be nice to reuse but I don't think I'll find an adapter...

Anyone? Why did canon drop RAW from their compacts???? I have 350D but there is no insurance in my part of the world that will cover floods so it won't go UW...

Why don't you take a look at Canon S70 ???

It's compact, it supports RAW and its housing can reach -40 metres (and more :) )...

Ciao Erik Il Rosso

Tamas:
yeah but an S70 is not really a compact, mini point and shoot camera.....it's more of a pricey "high-end" digital

I guess it depends upon your definition of compact, but I'd say it is. DPReview uses the term ultra compact for cameras that are credit card sized, and compact for cameras that are cigerette pack sized which the S70 is.

I use the S70, and while it's been discontinued, I *think* there are still some out there new. If you want to see some examples from the S70 underwater you can check out my gallary.

The biggest thing that is missing from most PnS models (other than RAW) is the lack of a true WA lens. The S70 goes to 28mm which is not ultra wide, but better than most. Others that I'm aware of that go wide and support RAW are the Oly 7070, but that is not a Canon.

It would seem that Canon and other manufactures are getting away from the high end features on their PnS digitals. This makes sense in that most people looking for those types of features will go with the DSLR which has dropped in price to the point that who is going to want to spend $600 on a PnS model when one can get a DSLR for just a bit more including a good starter lens.

Unfortunately for us UW photographers this is a bit of a problem as the housings on DSLR's are about 5X+ more expensive vs. the PnS housing, and most housings don't support the use of an external flash, so one is really looking at $1500 or more to house the DSLR and get a low end strobe NOT including the cost of the body and lenses.

Yeah, I would consider $375, still in the "affordable range"..anything $1000 and up is getting "pro" quality...

I done withsomeone with an S70 and they take awesome pics for the price range!

The other problem with the Oly 7070 (aside from not being a canon) is that at least at the time that I was doing comparisons, there was NO HOUSING at ALL for the 7070, Ikelite or otherwise. This may have changed now... but as Ron said...

Also FYI.. all of the stills in my photo gallery are with a Canon S70. The video (in my gallery) is NOT with the S70, but rather a video camera.

S70 will be ok.... if I find it...

don't forget I'm not in the US... prices here are aprox. 1,5xUSprice (Canon Adria) and it's hard to find an (reputable) online store that will ship outside of US...

my old one was S45 and I was VERY pleased with it! If I could find a used S45 or S50 I wouldn't even think twice...
What were they thinking when they made S80???? Wrong cards, (wrong batteries? - I have 5 of the NB-something - they fit my Rebel XT and S45), wrong format!!!!

Well, this probably doesnt fit your bills, but there is a lot of talk of an entry-level 3000D type of DSLR body that may be released on Feb 21. Also, Pentax has an DSLR for <$600 now - a price which is not a significant jump over $375-400 for a P&S. Dont know off-hand if you'll get a housing for it, though.

Vandit

Back
Top Bottom