Is there a reg that doesn't blow water in my ears?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nemrod,

I agree wholeheartedly. I was just trying to make the point that IMO, the Phoenix Aquamaster or a USD RAM with the proper fittings (banjo and converted hookah port) should be able to take on ANY task in the water and is just as capable as any high toned, latest and greatest, single hose reg out there.

I thought I saw some posts sometime back that indicated that some would be reluctant to take a double hose down past 100 feet or something like that. I don't know why these two double hose regs would have a restriction like that. I could understand that thinking with the single stage or unbalanced models. Maybe Luis can chime in and clarify that point.

I am not one who place such a restriction to depth. I have had my single stage Mistral to 150 feet. I have had my Phoenix RAM well past 150 feet. It is just as smooth and bubble free at 150 feet as it is at 30.

I understand what you were saying and I agree, I just don't recognize technical diving as a seperate species of diving, from that you should conclude that I do dives that some might call technical diving with my Royal Aqua Master regulators.

N, double hose diving since 1966, oh with just a bit of a single hose hiatus

I believe the first dive on the Andrea Doria was made with two hose regulators, that should address the depth issue.

Since the original question has been answered and we have a lot of 2 hose enthusiasts?

Is there any easy trick to doing buddy breathing with a 2 hose set-up?
I seem to remember having to roll to purge the water out out of the hose..

Since the original question has been answered and we have a lot of 2 hose enthusiasts?

Is there any easy trick to doing buddy breathing with a 2 hose set-up?
I seem to remember having to roll to purge the water out out of the hose..

Assuming you have a “kleer-easy” type of mouthpiece with check valves in the mouthpiece it is not hard to buddy breath. Since there is no purge button the receiving diver can raise the mouthpiece a bit above the diaphragm level to let it free flow and purge the mouthpiece.

The only thing to be aware is that with the US Divers curve mouthpiece type when the mouthpiece is rotated upside down to give air, the mouthpiece byte is at its lowest point, therefore if there is any residual water it can be an issue.

It is best to practice since it is not quite as easy as buddy breathing with a single hose regulator.

For most of my dives I have an octopus attached, since I dive most of the time with divers that have limited or no experience with double hose regulators.

Added:
The only reason to roll is if you had one of the very early mouthpieces that didn’t have mouthpiece valves. The rolling was mostly to clear the exhaust hose. To clear the intake hose all you need to do is raise the mouthpiece higher than the diaphragm.

As Luis says, "newer" double hose regs had one way valves in the mouthpiece that prevented flooding and the need to do the roll. However, I would learn to do the clearing roll and practice it in the event one of the valves were to become damaged or jammed open with FOD.

Most of the time, especially when diving with a buddy, I will have an octopus attached to my double hose.

N

You can go to your dive shop, and ask if they have any mod kits that'll expand the exhaust tee. Many of the older regs had a wide exhaust tee, so there might be a chance that you could switch it out. I say that is a chance, but don't count on it.

...a while back Scubapro sold this special exhaust T modification (see attachment below)...I believe it was only sold overseas, never in the USA...I picked up a few of them from a guy in Asia on E-bay maybe a couple of years ago...but never used them, as I ended up installing larger exhaust T's on my Atomic B1 and Apeks XTX 200 instead. ( I don't own any Scubapro regs, but bought the "t's" anyway, as a back-up plan...as I'd heard the "t's" were out of production and I could always get a Scubapro reg in the future if I had to.

Karl

Attachments

• S600 exhaust T.jpg
    S600 exhaust T.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 32
If your looking to Switch Regulators to something not as expensive as a double hosed reg such as the mistral, id suggest going to an Aqualung Kronos Reg
kron2n.jpg

theres a picture of it to give you an idea on how the exhaust is formed.. it may not solve your problem 100%, but it should greatly reduce the amount of bubbles that make it into your hood.
hope this helps,
Steve

You might look into a side exhaust like Poseidin or the previous Omega II or the Kronos as mentioned already might be an improvement for you, at leat the bubbles will be pounding only one ear and not both.

N

Back
Top Bottom