Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am at Buddy now. This is the 9th time. I've been robbed 3 times, always of stuff that I wouldn't have considered valuable ( like old warped flip-flops, a comb, and a peanut butter sandwich) But I have never had anything taken from inside the unit. I always put anything valuable into the safe, or if it won't fit, away out of view.

I've been to Bonaire twice and left all my gear in the gear area, the only thing I ever took back to my room was my can lights battery, but that was to charge it at night, never had anything taken. At dive sights take your valuables with you And leave the truck unlocked and you should have no problems.

Photography on Bonaire is better underwater. If your equipment is for land photography, leave it at home so your vacation won't be ruined by worry. If your equipment is for underwater, take it with you when you dive. Just don't leave it in your truck.

Photography on Bonaire is better underwater. If your equipment is for land photography, leave it at home so your vacation won't be ruined by worry. If your equipment is for underwater, take it with you when you dive. Just don't leave it in your truck.

What about housed units? :eyebrow:

A good pic is all about the eye of the 'artist' taking it. There are always opportunities for a good shot, even in non "picturesque" spots, and there is plenty above the waterline for one who sees those moments.

I am no artist, and I only bring the one u/w camera, but I have taken many shots on top of the land with it on Bonaire that I enjoy sharing, because they tell a story, or capture a moment.

on the other hand: LEAVE NOTHING IN YOUR TRUCK, is very good advice.

We were there a few years ago and my husbands reg was stolen out of the rinse tank at Buddy dive. We were sure that somebody just grabbed the wrong reg by accident but we never got it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were there a few years ago and my husbands reg was stolen out of the rinse tank at Buddy dive. We were sure that somebody just grabbed the wrong reg by accident but we never got it back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How long had it been sitting in the tank? Where were you when it happened?

My wet suit or skin, if I recall once disappeared from the gear room at BD, but I looked around, and found a similar one hanging further down the room. Being Bonaire, I simply dived in a t shirt and swim suit, and waited to see if my suit had just been accidentally "borrowed". Sure enough, later that evening my own was hanging again, and wet, while the similar one had been removed.

As suspected someone had just made a mistake, and donned the wrong suit. They returned mine, after their dive, and claimed their own.
I was just glad that it had not happened on my last day, when it could have caused a more permanent problem for me.

As suspected someone had just made a mistake, and donned the wrong suit. They returned mine, after their dive, and claimed their own.
I was just glad that it had not happened on my last day, when it could have caused a more permanent problem for me.
Happened to me once and wife once at another dive op on Bonaire. I found my wetsuit in the hands of another diver going out on the same boat that we were. He was mortified. My wife got hers back after it was taken on a shore dive trip by someone who discovered the mistake 45 min later. No harm no foul, just a bit of irritation with the mistakes of others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom