Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DC53

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I will be in a 1BR unit at Buddy's in February, and I have just been reading with much dismay about the theft problems on the Island. I was wondering about how Buddy's stacks up in terms of this issue. Other than cash or traverler's check, passport, credit card and a small camera, there are some expesive regulators and computers, dunno if they steal dive stuff. Any input on this?

Lighting dose strike people, but we still go outdoors! I have been a few times and never had, seen, or heard of a problem at Buddy Dive and I store my gear in the common locker when I go! They do have private guards and someone is always around that I have seen..... So I say be careful as with going anywhere, but don't let it stop you!

I have stayed at Buddy's several time with no problem. Nor have I ever had a problem anywhere on the island. IMO it all boils down to common sense. Don't do anything when traveling that you would not do at home and all is well.

I stayed at Buddy's with no problems and also left gear at the common locker. The theft problem is everywhere, you just need to use common sense!

Please take what you read about the crime on Bonaire with a grain of salt. Many of those who post the worst things about Bonaire have either never been there or were there once...and had no issues. While I am not saying its right, others have begged to get hit and then whine about it when they do. When deciding how much credibility to give a poster consider how much island experience they actually have and is their experience first hand, or second or heard a rumor from someone who heard it from someone... I have been on island 14 times since 99 with groups ranging from 2 to 24 staying at 6 different resorts (including at least 9 times at Buddy) and have trips 15 and 16 planned for this year. So far we have had nada, zero, zip problems, not so much as a vehicle gone through. I am not going to tell you crime does not happen, it does but it is no where near like some would have you believe. Do something dumb and you may get hit but odds are you will not.

Two times at Buddy Dive we have had a wet suit or skin disappear from the gear room. Only to reappear sometime later that day or the next, wet. :shocked2:
Think that was more a problem with confused divers, than larcenous behavior!!! :shakehead:

I have noticed broken glass at 2 sites, 1000 Steps, where vehicles are a bit isolated, and Andrea II, which is not, but draws a bit of local beach party traffic. All appeared to be broken truck window glass, from where someone ignored the simple warning to leave vehicles open and unlocked, and leave nothing in them.

This type of theft can happen anywhere, but in 6 or 7 trips to Bonaire now, we have had no theft problems, or known anyone who has. It does happen, but it is not rampant, as some have given the impression here and elsewhere on the INTERNET.

Simple precautions leave you much less likely to be a victim of crime, anywhere. :idk:

DC 53..the issue of crime on Bonaire gets magnified at least 100 fold on these threads. Use common sense. We've been going to Bonaire for over 25 years & in all that time had a knapsack lifted out of our car which contained a dirty towel & chap stick! Just use common sense and don't leave your Rolex on the car seat when the vehicle is unoccupied.
When looking for advice, ask those who have the real experience on the island.

When looking for advice, ask those who [-]have[/-] [-]the[/-] own real estate for rent [-]experience[/-] on the island.

no bias there

"Enjoy the safety and security of upper floor living" what's wrong with the first floor? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom