Is there a theft risk at Buddy Dive???

Have you yourself been a victim of theft on Bonaire?

• Never in 1 - 3 visits

Votes: 59 46.8%
  • Never in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 21 16.7%
  • Never in 7 - 10 visits

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Never in more than 10 visits

Votes: 14 11.1%
  • Yes. once in one visit

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Yes. once in 2 - 3 visits

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Yes. once in 4 - 6 visits

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes. once in 7-10 visits

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Yes. once in more than 10 visits

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Yes. more than once on a single visit

• Yes. more than once on 2 - 10 visits

Votes: 3 2.4%
  • Yes. more than once in over 10 visits

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:

Sorry, Vince but that is a very funny response.

In Vince's defense, although I have never met him, I believe he he really does love Bonaire, believes what he says, and isn't just saying things to rent his condo there.

I don't fully agree with him on the crime issue, but that's okay.

"'Enjoy the safety and security of upper floor living' 'what's wrong with the first floor?'"

Because the first floor is where the non-existent thieves are more likely to not break into your condo and not steal all of your stuff.

Well, to clarify my remarks it's a personal thing for me. No matter where I am in the Carib (and I've stayed on many and owned on a couple of different islands over the last 30 years) I ALWAYS stay in an upper floor unit. I don't feel safe on ANY island in a ground floor unit (and my comments are not limited to islands in the Carib). If others want to stay in ground floor units, hey that's OK by me. After all I would NOT enjoy a world where everyone thought like I do.
Everyone's entitled to their own opinion. But for me, it's really a no brainer decision. The chance that you'll find me on a ground floor unit ANYWHERE is slim to none & I believe Slim just left the building!

Having said that, Bonaire is one of the safest islands I have ever had the pleasure of being on, which is one of the primary reasons I chose to make an investment (and a lucrative one at that) there.

Why are there no threads about the safety of shore diving in Haiti?

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This post got reported multiple times but it doesn't qualify as a TOS violation so we left it.

I will say, however, that while it appears to be an attempt at humour we're a little surprised that anyone would find what's going on in Haiti at the moment funny.

Let's just leave any more joking about Haiti out of this thread, if you don't mind.

Anyone that tells you that you have nothing to worry about on Bonaire, in regards to theft, break-ins and petty crime in general, is simply not telling you the truth. The suggestion that if you get :hit: on Bonaire it was somehow YOUR fault, is hogwash. You need to know, Bonaire does not make public any list, record, or accounts of the crime on that island so the actual numbers are not really known. There is a high incidence of theft crime on that island, for its size and population. Also, be aware the "police", such as they are, will be useless, both in protecting you from crime and apprehending the criminals after you have been victim, IF YOU HAVE BEEN A VICTIM, which I'm sure you will not.

Having said all that, I think you will be fine at Buddys. Just do not rent a truck or car and do any shore dives. The accounts of break ins to rentals cars is staggering in volume. Most importantly, do not listen to people that claim to be experts on Bonaire, that claiim to go there many times a year over many years because invaribly they are people that make money on Bonaire, own stuff on Bonaire, and they will be adversley affected if everyone knows the truth about Bonaire.

Please contact me when you return. I'm sure you will be fine, just be careful and watch your stuff.

My wife and I will be in a 1BR unit at Buddy's in February, and I have just been reading with much dismay about the theft problems on the Island. I was wondering about how Buddy's stacks up in terms of this issue. Other than cash or traverler's check, passport, credit card and a small camera, there are some expesive regulators and computers, dunno if they steal dive stuff. Any input on this?

Last edited:
Anyone that tells you that you have nothing to worry about on Bonaire, in regards to theft, break-ins and petty crime in general, is simply not telling you the truth. The suggestion that if you get :hit: on Bonaire it was somehow YOUR fault, is hogwash. You need to know, Bonaire does not make public any list, record, or accounts of the crime on that island so the actual numbers are not really known. There is a high incidence of theft crime on that island, for its size and population. Also, be aware the "police", such as they are, will be useless, both in protecting you from crime and apprehending the criminals after you have been victim, IF YOU HAVE BEEN A VICTIM, which I'm sure you will not.

Having said all that, I think you will be fine at Buddys. Just do not rent a truck or car and do any shore dives. The accounts of break ins to rentals cars is staggering in volume. Most importantly, do not listen to people that claim to be experts on Bonaire, that claiim to go there many times a year over many years because invaribly they are people that make money on Bonaire, own stuff on Bonaire, and they will be adversley affected if everyone knows the truth about Bonaire.

Please contact me when you return. I'm sure you will be fine, just be careful and watch your stuff.

:confused:
Not only amazingly arrogant, but downright WRONG :shakehead: Few posting in this and other threads discussing this issue, have any vested interest in Bonaire, at all, but are trying to share their cumulative experience. And if someone does own property or a business in Bonaire they obviously cannot be believed? :shakehead:

Bonaire does not make public any list, record, or accounts of the crime on that island so the actual numbers are not really known.

So no one knows the real facts because they are not published in any form.

There is a high incidence of theft crime on that island, for its size and population.

But you know the facts better than all these other frequent visitors, business owners, or the public. And we are to believe you because? :popcorn:

Just do not rent a truck or car and do any shore dives. :idk:

So, your advice is to travel to an island famous for it's fabulous shore diving, where part of what makes this island so unique is all the sites easily accessible by road, and then do what? Do all boat dives?
Sure, staying in a secure resort, and doing boat dives only, might provide a heightened sense of security, while parking a truck at a remote shore site may expose one to a bit more risk of someone rifling threw the truck while you are away from it for an hour or so.
And then you put down the common sense precautions about not exposing yourself, by carelessly doing EXACTLY the opposite of what visitors are always told is a safe precaution; to leave nothing of value in a vehicle at a remote sire, and not to lock the doors, to avoid having window glass damaged if some one should try to search the empty truck.
Having had two vehicles damaged while parked at remote sites, one in Pennsylvania, and one in the Adirondacks in upstate NY, I can see the wisdom of this simple advice. In 6 or 7 trips to Bonaire we have never experienced any vehicle damages or losses, and neither has anyone else that we personally know, many who have visited Boanire far more times than we have.

I am sorry if I seem to come off stronger than I intend, but for several years now, in thread after thread this dead horse has been endlessly beaten by the same people who for their own reasons wish to magnify this problem way beyond it's reality. Crime does exist. Here, and everywhere else on this planet there are people who will take another person's property when they see an opportunity, and/or others who will foolishly expose themselves to needless risk.

So lets look at the subject of theft another way. Crime is a problem that happens all over the world. It happens where we live (which is significant problem where I reside) or at a tourist destination on Bonaire. I think it is a failrly safe bet to say that where tourists go, crime goes too - again, be it Florida, or any other destination in the world. Thieves we target people who have things of value that are easy targets, or can be stolen from people that will not spend a lot of time making police reports and dealing with all of the paperwork issues surrounding being ripped off. On the other hand, companies who cater to the travel / scuba community are keenly aware that if their destinations get a bad rap, it can cause a huge hit on the bottom line, so they have many reasons why they should make sure their customers have great, trouble free vacations.

We also need to realize that in all of society, we will always have a certain amount of people that are the bad apples - those that make a life out of stealing from others. They have always been their, and will always be their. The good thing is that most people in society are honest people - its the small percentage that we have to worry about ruining our vacations and scuba trips.

Taking all this into consideration...at the end of the day, it is really up to us to make sure we have taken basic precautions to make sure we and our property is safeguarded. We each have a different level of awareness, so it is not fair to judge someone who has a higher concern than others.

We do not want to run around thinking the sky is falling and that around every corner is someone trying to rip us off, but their is a certain level of awareness and protection we all need to consider when traveling. So, as a community, we should help those who reach out for help from us.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A post from Undercurrent> You decide what value to place on it. Just be informed.

"Been to Bonnaire several times and liked the diving very much, especially the salt pier. When several rooms were burglarized at our groups hotel, the night before our departure, we became convinced that the hotel staff and police are involved. This was 4 years ago. I have not been back since and will not go back until I hear from other divers that the crime problem has been solved. To me, "oh don't leave anything of value in your truck" is no answer. There are too many other beautiful, friendly and HONEST places to visit. I won't go back."

If keeping your rental truck / car locked is "asking for a problem" then, by extension, so is the act of renting a vehicle and leaving it unattended in the first place. If you don't rent a vehicle then you have a bit less exposure to crime.There are just way too many accounts of divers getting stuck with having to pay the rental agencies the $500 deductable before they leave the island. The spare tire scam is notorious. On a small island that size, with just 12,000 people, what kind of market is there for spare tires?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom