Is there a valid reason for a pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

even PADI states the Self Reliant certification is NOT solo....

Attachments

• 8EF62AA6-8ECB-4784-B46D-0DD57D78C973.png
    8EF62AA6-8ECB-4784-B46D-0DD57D78C973.png
    256.6 KB · Views: 49
I can't believe their lawyers let it through....

So what dive suits a 6cuft ‘pony’?

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your question. I get this type of question a lot, so don't think that my azzhat responses are directed at you in anyway!

A better question should be for you to ask me what my SAC is.

The smart-azz answer is whatever dive I deem it to be useful (conditions and depth considerations are always an issue).

I use the 6cf when I am diving in a group setting in 60 feet or less. My lovely wife is not the best of dive buddies.

As I have stated before, I have made a personal choice to not hold my breath while catching up to my SOB buddy. I will not do a CESA (unless I suffer a double catastrophic failure and my pony system explodes on me at the wrong time--not likely).

I have done many practice pony bottle ascents on the 6cf bottle, the 13 cf bottle, and multiple ascents on the 40cf (not refilled between dives), and from much deeper. My deepest practice ascent on the 6cf was from 105' to 15 fsw where I did a safety stop from my primary system. I boarded the vessel with air to spare in my 6cf (not much air). It is more than enough in shallow, benign conditions. Safety stops are not recommended in emergency situations.

I seriously believe that an experienced diver who can't make a safe ascent from 60 feet on less than 10cf needs to be retrained.

There is nothing wrong in carrying a larger pony because you feel like it! Don't use a 6cf or 13cf because I use them.

markm

If you have a pony your incentive to be a good buddy is reduced. ... The mutually assured distruction contract is broken.
Having a pony need not make me a bad buddy. There are several buddy dynamic changes possible from changed incentives with a pony, not all of which are negative:

1. I'm a putz, and figure my 'buddy' can now F off.

2. I'm more relaxed, and being already a responsible diver do a better job tracking my buddy as now I'm relaxed.

3. My 'buddy' is a putz, they wanted a buddy but did not want to be one, letting their 'buddy' chase them. But now they need me more than I need them, so they stay close and pay attention to where I am and how I'm actually doing.

4. My 'buddy' is a putz, had no interest in buddying either way and now they are free to break the contract they had no interest in, without endangering me.

5. I'm less worried about immediate air needs but still like secondary help, so might lengthen the distance a bit. But watch my buddy as they do not have extra air. My buddy is still worried about immediate air needs, so stays close.

The PADI website does advertise that their self-reliant cert is a solo cert. They use many words that are synonymous with solo. Like, independent, diving alone, without a partner...

markm

Hi Ken,

Thanks for your question. I get this type of question a lot, so don't think that my azzhat responses are directed at you in anyway!

A better question should be for you to ask me what my SAC is.

The smart-azz answer is whatever dive I deem it to be useful (conditions and depth considerations are always an issue).

I use the 6cf when I am diving in a group setting in 60 feet or less. My lovely wife is not the best of dive buddies.

As I have stated before, I have made a personal choice to not hold my breath while catching up to my SOB buddy. I will not do a CESA (unless I suffer a double catastrophic failure and my pony system explodes on me at the wrong time--not likely).

I have done many practice pony bottle ascents on the 6cf bottle, the 13 cf bottle, and multiple ascents on the 40cf (not refilled between dives), and from much deeper. My deepest practice ascent on the 6cf was from 105' to 15 fsw where I did a safety stop from my primary system. I boarded the vessel with air to spare in my 6cf (not much air). It is more than enough in shallow, benign conditions. Safety stops are not recommended in emergency situations.

I seriously believe that an experienced diver who can't make a safe ascent from 60 feet on less than 10cf needs to be retrained.

There is nothing wrong in carrying a larger pony because you feel like it! Don't use a 6cf or 13cf because I use them.

markm

Have you factored in elevated gas consumption due to stress? What about time to put up a marker buoy if there’s boat traffic in the area?

I am starting to believe that your mother must have been frightened by a pony during her third trimester.
I just rocketed my milk across the room :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom