Is there any advantages of using AIR for Deco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean eve

Reaction score
Now most of the divers are using gas mixtures(Nitrox) for decompression.How about AIR?Is there any advantages or it is useless??What I know is,the time using AIR to decompress is longer;not so effective as using higher O2.
Any disadvantages besides this?

No advantages for using Air for decompression

Why??
Anyway it still help our tissue to offgasing isn't it?
Using higher O2 to deco is better than air ,but is it so useless?
Thanks

Jean eve:
Why??
Anyway it still help our tissue to offgasing isn't it?
Using higher O2 to deco is better than air ,but is it so useless?
Thanks

It can still be used to inflate the tires to bring you to the divesite (but even there are gases are better)

Jean eve:
Now most of the divers are using gas mixtures(Nitrox) for decompression.How about AIR?Is there any advantages or it is useless??What I know is,the time using AIR to decompress is longer;not so effective as using higher O2.
Any disadvantages besides this?
With the longer times and the greater potential for tissue damage, planning to decompress on air is hard to justify.

If the defecation has contacted the impellor, decompressing on air beats the heck out of getting bent. It should not be plan "A" or plan "B".

So you mean doing the whole dive on air? maybe if your doing a stop at 220ft but even then I dont think too manyu folks use air

Don Burke:
With the longer times and the greater potential for tissue damage, planning to decompress on air is hard to justify.

If the defecation has contacted the impellor, decompressing on air beats the heck out of getting bent. It should not be plan "A" or plan "B".
Probably beats the heck out of breathing water too! (but I know what you mean!)

Curt Bowen:
No advantages for using Air for decompression

Oh give me a break....... divers have been decompressing on air since the year dot and quite successfully too. It is only over the last few years that nitrox has become readily available in some places and been de mystified that it is now seen as an advantage because of the shorter stop times etc.

advantages of using air for deco:

1 you can get it anywhere
2 it is cheaper than nitrox or O2
3 no Oxygen toxicity problems
4 no need for gas analysis
5 less tanks
6 no gas switching errors (primary cause of death in tec divers)
7 simpler decompression planning

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom