Is there any help for an Uncoordinated newbee?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deignor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK, I have been actively trying to become a better diver because I am not a "natural". I have conquered my fear of mask clearing (thanks to your suggestions and practice), I am somewhat better at buoyancy (still a long ways to go).
I went to the quarry yesterday to try out my new equipment. I got a custom 6.5 mm wetsuit, a Seaquest Diva BC, fins, and regulator. Everything fit well and I was very comfortable. I tried a steel tank and was able to cut my weight substantially.
We did a buoyancy and weighting check and then went for a tour and stopped at a platform. I somehow lost one of my fins on the platform and my hubby got it for me. I was doing fin pivots (no ankle weights on Walter!) and my wetbelt spun on my body so most of the weight was on my right side. I immediately ended on my right side, then my feet are over my head- I grabbed onto one of the ropes. I finally got my weight belt back into the correct position. Meanwhile, hubby is writing on the slate, "What is wrong?" I write "Wetbelt moving around". I have no idea how it was moving, it was tight. Meanwhile, I have sucked lots of air as I am doing uncoordinated acrobatics in the water.
I keep reading about people having that wonderful feeling of weightlessness. I like that feeling but I just don't feel like I am in control of it. In other words, I am not in the position I want to be in, nice flat horizontal cruising around. I can end up head down in a heartbeat, feet down, on my side or back. At least, I am feeling more and more comfortable being in the water with my equipment but I am defining uncoordinated...
Any suggestions- is this just a buoyancy issue that will get better with time? I am descending much better with the suggestions you gave me.
I am somewhat worried. We are leaving for Cozumel on Saturday for our honeymoon. We will be doing 2 boat dives with 2 tanks in the morning for 7 days (I know I do not have to dive everyday). I would prefer NOT to run into the coral that has been growing for hundreds of years if I end up doing uncoordinated acrobatics. Meanwhile, it is tiring for me and I do not want to suck air so fast that I end missing a sea turtle! :)
Any ideas. Will it be easier with a 3 mm suit on?
Thanks
Diana

Diana,
Couple of things. In a 3mm in warm water, you'll have less weight. Second, if you take that weight and place it near the front of your pelvic wings and use weight retainers, there should be much less chance of the weights shifting. (additionally it'll help keep you "in the position I want to be in, nice flat horizontal cruising around."

Lastly, yeah, practice DOES make perfect.

Hope this adds some small measure of help.

Glad to hear things are going better and you're hanging in there! We all felt uncoordinated when we first started out but with time and practice things will get better. Lakedivers suggestion for weight retainers is a good start. Just remember to try and relax; take your time and have fun. By taking your time you should do fine with the coral. One trick I have on air, when you get nervous and feel you are sucking air, I hum. It slows down my breathing and will help you relax.

Have a great time in Cozumel. Dive safe and have fun! We will want to hear all about your diving when you get back.

You know...in Cozumel with a 3 mm and your SeaQuest Diva with integrated weights...(right?) you probably won't even be wearing a weight belt....YEAH!!!!!! That will be one less thing to deal with - no slipping.

I dive in Cozumel with a 3mm and a SeaQuest Diva - 8 lbs of weight distributed with 3 lbs each front weight pocket and one lb each rear pocket and ankle weights with only about 1lb in each. That works well for me and I feel "centered".

Once you get there, do some weight checks - Good place - off steps at the dock of old La Ceiba Hotel (now El Cid Resort) - good checkout dive site to get comfortable with your equipment and weights in salt water before getting on the boat. It's also a good spot for a newbie night dive...we saw a Caribbean octopus near the sunken plane (well, what's left of the plane) as well as a spotted eel and lots of other critters that are out at night. It was my first night dive so it was reassuring to have the lights from the dock shining onto the water while entering and exiting the water. Yeah...all you "old pros"....I know.....I was a wuss....but hey, it got me hooked and over the fear factor of the unknown in the dark.

Cozumel......AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH.....I love it there. The water will be warm, the sights amazing and you'll do just fine. Dive safe and have a blast!!! Please, please, keep us informed and we want a trip report!!!
Where you stayed? Dive operation? Dive Sites?....etc...

Congratulations!!! Happy Honeymoon!!!

Deignor,

Congratulations for making it this far! Many people give up on the mask clearing and never go any further so you are doing great.

I have a question about your weighting because I also dive with a Diva BC. Why are you wearing a weightbelt instead of utlizing the integrated weight pouches. I personally find them to be much more comfortable than a weight belt. You might want to try that.

I also think that there is no comparison between a 3mm warm water ocean dive and a 6.5mm cold water dive in terms of air consumption and comfort. The thinner suit and warm water will make you more relaxed. I have a custom 7mm suit and I still feel like the Michelin Tire Women everytime I wear it. I much prefer warm water diving because the gear is easier to don and dive in.

Can't wait to hear about your trip. Best of luck!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny :bunny:

more helpful hints...
As an extremely spoiled brat diver who rarely dives colder that a
Florida spring I think I can add to this conversation.

The best way to simulate the fab conditions that await you in Cozumel is to visit a nearby pool with all your gear, weights and suit that you will be using.

Toss a bunch of pennies on the bottom of the pool and practice picking them up and not bumping the bottom (coral reef for the purposes of this exercise).

You can try different weight amounts in the different stash spots on your bcd as well as ankle weights if you think it is needed.

Do that few times before take off and you will be a lot more confident when you get to the real thing (being tense is usually most of the problem!)

For those that are already masters at buoyancy you can perfect your odd positions skills such as head down feet up etc...great for picture taking in tight spot!

Deignor,
The other folks have hit all the major points, so at the risk of repeating good advice:
1) Fear not -nearly every diver goes through the "uncoordinated newbie"stage, and revisits some part of that stage with each new dive experience(e.g.:new equip.,first time ______ (fill in the blank with any dive experience),first unexpected u/w event.)
So,be sure to know that you are not alone.
2.) The weight amount/placement /practice situation has been covered nicely-don't forget to "check out" the "Coz weight", if possible.

3.) You'll probably love Coz-nice currents, good stuff to see, great vis-and warm water.

4.) If you are still nervous when you get to Coz, let the DM know-if they are like those I have observed, they will go out of their way to help you get more comfortable with whatever the situation is.

5.) Most importantly-relax and enjoy. You are talking about a leisure activity/sport/hobby/whatever you wish to call it, to be done while on your honeymoon. Approach it with the frame of mind that "I'm doing this to have fun", and you'll feel better about it all.
That, and the knowledge that you have the entire "Scuba Board" family wishing you well, should help keep things rolling along.

Good luck, enjoy the trip, and let us know how it all works out.
Miked

I think everyone is right that you will probably find it a little easier in Cozumel. Cold water diving definitely makes things more complicated gear-wise, which can in turn make it harder to master certain things underwater at first.

One of the contributing factors to your weightbelt shifting during the dive is that you are wearing a thick neoprene wetsuit (which you need because of the cold.) The neoprene compresses at depth, and suddenly the weightbelt that was reasonably snug at the surface is loose! There are several things you might do to cope with this. The first, as already mentioned, is to not wear a weightbelt, and use the weight-integration feature of your bc. Alternatively, since you may need more weight than your bc can hold when you are in cold water, you can buy a weight harness and use that instead of a belt. They can be a little bit pricey, but they are much more comfortable than a belt, and don't cause shifting. A second method of coping is making the belt much tighter than you would ordinarily think you'd need at the surface -- I'm not talking about so tight that you're interfering with breathing/circulation/whatever -- just more tight than is needed to hold it still at the surface. Do the extra tightening right before you get in the water, and it won't be uncomfortable for very long, because soon you'll have descended and the belt will fit fine. Lastly, I recommend practicing (in shallow water or a pool) tightening your belt while you are underwater, without letting it slide off your hips. Once you have mastered that skill, you'll be able to tighten your belt at depth when it becomes loose due to your wetsuit compressing.

One more thing you can look into is seeing if the weight belt buckle you have allows slippage. In theory, it shouldn't, but in reality, some do. If you stick with a weight belt and are using a plastic buckle, you might consider investing in a sturdier metal one. And, as others already mentioned, weight keepers will help if it is the weights themselves rather than the whole belt that is moving.

At any rate, you should have an easier time of it in Cozumel, since you won't have such a thick wetsuit to deal with. And the rest is just practice/experience. Congratulations, and have a fantastic time on your honeymoon!

otter-cat:)

I was happy to hear you are having problems. But only because that means I am not the only one!

I started taking my basic open water course this past weekend. Well I am doing well at the academic part of the course. I am having some serious gear related issues and paniced underwater.

So they pulled me out of the class and are helping me individually.
I am going to get so more pool time in and hopefully i will be ready for the ocean soon. I don't think I am ready to be thrown into the ocean with 100lb of gear on right now.

Anyway, with your buoyancy issue, as quote from the husband a divemaster. it will get better with time and practice. Good luck in Mexico and have a good time. let us know how it goes. I just have to remember not to be so self critical and i will be ok.

Diana,
Just because experienced divers don't like ankle weights does not necessarily mean they are a bad idea for newbies! If you are floating all over like a balloon, try the ankle weights & see if you feel more balanced. You can just stuf them in your BC pockets if they don't work otherwise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom