Is there anyway to be involved/support the diving community without actually diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are lots of great suggestions here. I especially like @Eric Sedletzky's response for thinking outside the box and I agree. My own response was going to be pretty much what @-JD- said. The only thing I might add is that you could contact @Duke Dive Medicine. He is a wealth of medical knowledge and has been enormously helpful to all of us on this board.

Hello, first of all I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. If there’s anyway it can be moved to the correct one without much issue I would appreciate it. If not I will make a new thread where it would be more suitable.

I had a quick question for you guys though. Like the title states, is there anyway to be involved with or support the diving community without suiting up and going underwater. Due to health concerns with my lungs, I don’t think I would be able to use the tanks/gasses/air mixtures (idk the right term, sorry) correctly. Knowing this would only make me more anxious and the last thing I need underwater if some type of panic attack. I understand how dangerous they are. If you would like to know more info about what type of health concerns I may be prone to while using underwater breathing tanks, please send me a message and I will try and be more specific.

I would try and give examples of things I can do to be involved but this is all pretty new to me, and I wouldn’t be sure where to start. If this is more of a “F off, if you’re not diving then don’t even bother” type thing then I have no problem not continuing to try and get involved. It’s always something that has interested me, and I wish I was able to partake and see what the underwater world is personally like, but you can only do so much with what you have sometimes.

I’m open to all kinds of suggestions that you all may have for me, even if it’s of the “F off” variety :wink:

Thank guys
Buy an annual fishing license. The proceeds go to conservation and enforcement of fishing regulations.

I suppose you could work in dive retail, or boat/support, dive travel, etc.
But In my opinion what is severely lacking in the world of diving is overall dive marketing and someone who is capable like a lightning rod to bring the world of diving to the masses and make people aware that we’re still here. I’m thinking big time like world wide liaison and crusader getting the world of diving back into the public eye and back on Main Street, not small potatoes like working in a dive shop. There are already too many people for those jobs and they are notoriously low pay.
I know it sounds grand and far fetched but you asked. Become an influencer and a spearhead then figure out how you can make a profit from that to support yourself.
Most divers just bitch about nothing ever getting done, but they do nothing themselves. However, you being removed from the actual act of diving but still having a passion for the sport you can see things from a different angle and that might be good. Divers sometimes are too immersed in the activity (pun intended) and it can cloud their vision.
Do you have any film making experience?

I totally get where you're coming from with these ideas.... And I agree, that these are niches that sorely needs to be filled... but, how as a non-diver would one do that? Same with @wstorms 's suggestions on photo/videography.... (which might be a better example of my question).... Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to bash your ideas... But I, like the OP, are trying to think of how does one accomplish these tasks without being a diver themselves...

Photo/videography could be a good way, but they (in this case OP) need to have the knowledge and experience before hand... But could be especially useful with knowledge of color correcting, and (debate-ably more useful with constructing a coherent story to dive footage)

Public Liaison could be a very very good way to help contribute... but for whom does one liaise? (metaphorically speaking)....

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rag on these suggestions, just trying to see how they can be expanded upon.... (which will largely depend upon more info from the OP)

I think that our "group think" could be very beneficial, not just to answer @PaulAllen 's post, but also to see what we can do ourselves...
:cheers:

no offense taken. I was thinking simpler; if OP (non diver) is really good with video editing, color corrections etc (basically anything post), I (diver) can learn a lot from that. Let's make a cool educational video together to promote environmentally friendly diving. something like that.

no offense taken. I was thinking simpler; if OP (non diver) is really good with video editing, color corrections etc (basically anything post), I (diver) can learn a lot from that. Let's make a cool educational video together to promote environmentally friendly diving. something like that.

Oh, 100% agreed, I only do video (action cam), and really do try to put a lot of thought and time into it, but could definitely benefit from some advice in post processing... I think a "Responsible Diving" or [insert promoting title here] video would be a fun and productive way to explore better filmography and might fit the OP's request.

Many great suggestions above. I would answer your question with a question.
What is your experience in or what do you have a passion about above the surface?
Once you answer that question start looking for areas that may overlap in the dive community. If you are not sure how they may overlap then list them out for us and I bet we can come up with some suggestions.

Volunteer public safety diver groups usually have support roles for non divers.

As for actual underwater exploration and seeing pretty fish without diving, consider getting one of the consumer ROV/underwater drones like a BlueROV, OpenROV, or similar. Or go into an ocean research career and play with the big ROVs and submersibles.

And snorkeling if your medical condition allows that. Check with your doctor or DAN first! Snorkeling is great, better than diving in many ways (less gear/planning/expense/time limits) and you get most of the same experience.

Before you count yourself out, I would see a doctor and review contraindications to diving--go ahead and pay the small fee for a DAN membership as well because it's one way to support scuba and it also gets you access to medical advice from them. If your doctor is unsure, maybe a doctor and DAN phone call could help them figure it out.

You can get certified without going deep, and then you could get a job at a dive shop--but more importantly, you could get involved with Diveheart.
They do pool sessions with disabled divers and essentially scuba try dives with disabled people who want to try scuba. I am not a doctor, but if you can handle breathing on the surface, I imagine you could handle breathing at 5' deep in a pool.

Some great thoughts here; the first thing that came to mind for me was conservation and preservation. I know there are a lot of organizations supporting both marine life and environments that likely need "boots on the ground" just as much as "fins in the water".

I'd also emphasize the peripheral technologies associated with diving. I know photography was mentioned, but I can't tell you how many times I or another diver have said: "too bad there's not a [site/app/software/etc] for that". There are a lot of great resources available, but as a whole certainly less than other, more "mainstream" activities. Obviously a larger consumer target equals larger profit potential, so there's no shock there, but if you have some great tech skills and a passion to support the sport, I guarantee you'd have a grateful and receptive audience.

I'm very much in the infancy of my diving "career", but since day one I've found the SCUBA community as a whole to be overwhelmingly welcoming and supportive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom