Is there such a thing as a small closed bottom / closed circuit lift bag (30-60lbs) ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WebmasterJ

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
This may be asking to much but currently looking for a couple small lift bags, only catch is they need to have a closed bottom or be closed circuit and preferably be under 50lbs.

Have tried SMBs and due to their shape (long / cylindrical) they are the perfect shape to get pulled under in heavy current 2-5kts. A traditional lift bag will make it to the surface but in that same heavy current the open bottom will have water pushed in it and end up filling with water, displacing air, and going under.

They make fully enclosed lift bags like the ones below but I would like to stay under 50lbs of lift due to the environment they are getting used in and due to the fact that they need to be fairly compact.

Manta Fully Closed Lift Bag - 100lb

Mares XR Lift Bag Orange 30kg

Looking for suggestions or even alternatives. Need to attach a line to an heavy item at depth 30-80' to be able to recover the item using that line later with the boat, current is the issue as it can range from 1-5kts and a typical SMB gets pulled under due to it's shape and a traditional lift bag with an open bottom gets filled with water by the current.

Look at XS scuba they make a 50lb bag with a duckbill valve in the closed bottom so you can fill it from a reg then let it go out seals itself.

Look at XS scuba they make a 50lb bag with a duckbill valve in the closed bottom so you can fill it from a reg then let it go out seals itself.

Yes, I agree and I've got one. Deluxe 50 Pound Lift Bag

Pedro with the link thanks that's the ones I have. I carry one of each color on every open water dive.

Thanks for the suggestion (and the link). The design of that bag is just about what I need other than the bottom, I have had big SMBs with the auto-close design and while they do well in open water when they are full in really heavy current the water pushes itself in through the opening on the bottom.

I guess if I can't find anything I could look at getting one of those then having the bottom sewn/glued/both.

It also seems pretty tough to find that model for sale, it is on XS Scuba's site but looks like most of the sites actually selling XS Scuba lift bags have the one's without the inflation option.

Last edited:
I have the Halcyon bag, which works like a charm. It's a little bigger than you asked for at 80 lb, but folds up very compactly.

Back
Top Bottom