Is this a Cero??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dukeh20

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Cero1.jpg

We dove Bonaire in October and saw a few of these. I've not seen these there before and thought it was a Cero. Is that what it is??

Looks like one to me. The marks on the sides appears bright orange above the water and they are shaped like dashes in Cero's and spots in Spanish.

Willem

The marks on the sides weren't orange or yellow and that's why I wasn't sure if it was a cero.

Thats actually the word I was looking for. Tuna is a mackerel as well isnt it?

Edit:
Tunas is in the same family as macerel, but different genus

Cero are excellent smoked.
I shoot a few a year.
They are a version of Kingfish.
Chug
(No fish expert)

I'm no expert, but I believe that spanish mackerel has prominent yellow spots on its sides and Cero has yellow stripes along the centerline. As I don't see this in the photo, I'd be hesitant to say that it's any of these. It does however appear to be some type of mackerel, I'm just not sure which one. My 2 cents anyway. :)

My vote goes to the Cero.
The Spanish mackerel is rare to absent in the Caribbean. Also the Cero has streaks at midline as this one has. The spanish mackerel has only dots.

We see them here quite often, sometimes swimming together with a Bar jack.

K.

Back
Top Bottom