Is this an inspiration or an evolution?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jamdiver

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey all quick question,

Whilst kitting up for a dive I encountered a group of other local divers who were getting to leave, anyway one of them had a rebreather.
He gave us a quick tour/explanation of his rebreather, anyway for the life of me I can't remember if it was an inspiration or evolution.

I know it's an Ap Diving unit, anyway i'd greatly appreciate it if you guys could figure out which model it is.
This question isn't just out of sheer curiousity, i'm interested in rebreather technology and believe it to be the future of diving.
I could possibly see myself moving up to a rebreather many years from now and after hundreds of dives.
Anyway here are some photos that I shot.

Much thanks.

Rebreather_1.JPG

Rebreather_2.JPG

Rebreather_3.JPG

its an Evolution

/Jonny

Yep, the Inspiration is larger, 1/2 lbs more sorb and 3 ltr tanks. :wink:

Jamdiver:
Thanks guys!
I thought it was an evolution but wasn't quite sure of it :).

Even without the size comparison, if the unit has a single "wrist-set", it is almost certainly an Evolution. The large TWIN handsets are on the Inspiration Classic.

There are a few Classics that have been re-fitted with the Evolution controls, but they are few and far between at the moment.

The Vision electronics are stock on the Evo and optional on the YBOD.

First (and only one for me) hint is the missing weight pouch atop the box in the frontal shots.

The third shot makes it easy:
- open lid smooth shaped (rather than the YBOD's center extrusion)
- lid hinged and Jeep style buckles oposite (YBOD lid removable, 4 snaps)
- cylinders almost same height as scrubber/head assembly (YBOD plenty of space above s/h)
- manifold top left corner (YBOD above head, left)
- case corners rounded off on bottom (YBOD straight)

For comparison, the YBOD below. The head shown there is the old Classic.
Then again, that 5 year old pic I posted above is of a Classic Evo test mule. :wink:

caveseeker7:
The Vision electronics are stock on the Evo and optional on the YBOD.

First (and only one for me) hint is the missing weight pouch atop the box in the frontal shots.

The third shot makes it easy:
- open lid smooth shaped (rather than the YBOD's center extrusion)
- lid hinged and Jeep style buckles oposite (YBOD lid removable, 4 snaps)
- cylinders almost same height as scrubber/head assembly (YBOD plenty of space above s/h)
- manifold top left corner (YBOD above head, left)
- case corners rounded off on bottom (YBOD straight)

For comparison, the YBOD below. The head shown there is the old Classic.
Then again, that 5 year old pic I posted above is of a Classic Evo test mule. :wink:

Wow, you're good :).

Reminds me of a friend of mine who can identify almost any car just by the engine/exhaust noise.

Back
Top Bottom