Is this bladder a problem? SP Seahawk

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mithril379

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Although I've been happy with my Cressi Travelight jacket style BCD it has become too big for me. Rather than replace it with a smaller size I'd like to switch to a back inflate style and I'm considering getting the Scubapro Seahawk II. I've done some research, and it seems this BCD has a relatively huge lift capacity (50 lbs in all sizes). I live in NYC and travel to dive in tropical locations. Do single tank rec diving, and I'm usually wearing skins, at most (and rarely) a 3mm suit. That is more lift than I need, but my real concern is whether air gets trapped easily with all that extra bladder. I've read it's possible but I'm not sure if it's a real issue that should put me off this choice. I'm comfortable using any and all dump valves, and rarely use the inflator hose to dump air in my current BCD.

I'm not prepared to switch to BP/W yet (or maybe ever). I have looked at other back inflate BCDs with smaller bladders, but at the risk of sounding like I'm buying a car based on its cup holders, I really like the pockets on the seahawk. I like to stow things in pockets when possible, and this has nice big pockets.

Is anyone diving with the seahawk? Is that bladder too big for tropical limited exposure protection diving? Any issues with dumping air? I really appreciate your help.

That’s a lot of lift you don’t need.

I understand the pocket desire but there are a few ways to work around that with other BCD’s. Scuba pro sells an attachment pocket (I have one for a hydros pro and it’s ehh). Dive rite sells an expandable pouch, you rig that up somewhere - works very well.

They have the litehawk which is 30#, looks like no pockets and the hydros pro at 40# again, no pockets.

I hate jumping on that BPW bandwagon but they really aren’t all that bad - very comfortable and very modular in that you can really set things up the way you want them. I see a lot of rec divers using them.

I think there are bungees that keep the wing small and compact.

I have a Ladyhawk that is quite similar (less lift) and with no pockets outside of a rolldown one where the integrated weight is. It's not that big and is more of a flat pocket. (I'm female...) It offers about 34lbs of lift that I use for most of my diving (99% warm water) but also works for cold water (8/7 semi-dry). I'm about 130-135 pounds. As @Jcp2 mentioned, there are bungees to help keep the wing compressed to a minimum footprint/size. I've had about 330 dives on the Ladyhawk and one thing you need to ensure before diving is that the bungees are even on the left and right side of the wing. If they are uneven, the air bladder tends to fill and the bungee will compress the bladder unevenly and you will be a bit lopsided. Nothing a quick twist under water won't fix, but it is annoying and unnecessary if you know this ahead of time. You only need to ensure that it is even after packing/rinsing, nothing needed between dives. I also have the Scubapro pocket originally designed for the Hydros Pro that @ChuckP mentioned and I actually really like it. It clips off to my hip d-rings where I also have other things clipped on. I bought it and used it for the first time last month for about 84 dives. It is pretty large. You could get 2, 1 for each side. Please see a post in another thread about it including pictures of it "on" me for size reference: PLBs Can Save Your Life

That pocket is mucho differente then the one I have - much bigger and looks way more useful. I have one that gets hard attached under a weight pocket on the hydros pro - it unrolls if you want to use it - very small

50# lift does sound like a lot. I'm 250# using a hydros pro and i don't think i've ever fully inflated it. Lots of different solutions to the pockeet issue, though. clips, pouches, all sorts of fun and exciting stuff.

In terms of your bladder problem, have you tried cranberry juice?

PS I have both the roll up ninja pocket and the hip pocket for the hydros. you can have both of them if you need to. I'm in Manhattan.

Thank you everyone. I am trying the Seahawk in the pool this week, so we'll see how that goes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom