Is this entirely overkill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I went to my LDS, and they have a deal... Buy a SP Galileo Sol ($1200) and a Air2 BC ($450) get a free Mk25/S600 ($405) reg... Brings you to a grand total of $1650...

Is that computer entirely overkill, especially for a new diver? I don't mind spending the money if it's something great, and useful, and will last a long time, but it just kind of seems a little much.

Same Reg ($405), Same BC ($450), "Entry Computer" ($300).... That's $1150 there... Typing it out the Sol seems to make less and less since, just thought I'd check with you guys though. Thanks!

It's fantastic and you will not regret buying it. I paid $1500 cash soo you are getting a bargain. It's intiuitive to use and easy to set up. Enjoy playing with it

Do you want THAT BC and THAT reg?

For that money you have a huge selection of very cool choices in computers (not the common beginner computers). I would not rush the decision.

Before you spend the money check out a Vr3, Upgradable to trimix and great for deco. You never know what kind of diving you like to do in the future.

Do you want THAT BC and THAT reg?

For that money you have a huge selection of very cool choices in computers (not the common beginner computers). I would not rush the decision.

Of the BCs I have been able to try on, yes, and I do like the way the reg feels, and my instructor recommended it as well. Unfortunately I'm really limited as to what I can try out from the dive shops on the island, not a whole lot of selection for rentals.

The Scubapro Mk25/S600 is an excellent regulator and, whilst expensive, will serve your purposes for many years and cope with whatever diving demands you ask of it.

I am personally not a fan of AIR2 system BCDs...I feel there are far better ways to integrate an AAS. However, it is valid and each to their own. What manufacturer makes the BCD in question?

For computers, there is a huge selection available...and many are over-specified for the requirements of the average recreational diving. I would suggest that your choice of computer demands more research....as there are many options available in the price bracket you have suggested.

Of the BCs I have been able to try on, yes, and I do like the way the reg feels, and my instructor recommended it as well. Unfortunately I'm really limited as to what I can try out from the dive shops on the island, not a whole lot of selection for rentals.

If you are limited in options and service (important), it's good to listen to the local shop.

Personally (!), I think a basic computer is good way to start. As you dive more you will learn more what you want later (and if you continue to dive you will want more and more). That way when you lay down the big money, you will really know what features are the important ones for you.

For basic stuff you want to make sure you get easy to use, intuitive computer with easy to view screen and easy to handle buttons, nitrox capability, user changeable battery - and gage mode is really nice feature too, especially if you do have any suspicion that you might move into tech diving later.

P.S. I second the opinion on Air2 in the package. Not my personal favourite but I know some people disagree. I would go for regular octo.

I think I would go for option 2 get and maybe even less on a BC since you may find you want to change later. Just my opinion. Dive for a while and find out what type of diving etc... you wan to do then buy the more expensive "Toys" if you want them.

What manufacturer makes the BCD in question?

ScubaPro... Probably either the Knighthawk or the Glide Pro, I really liked the way each of those fit.

So I went to my LDS, and they have a deal... Buy a SP Galileo Sol ($1200) and a Air2 BC ($450) get a free Mk25/S600 ($405) reg... Brings you to a grand total of $1650...

Is that computer entirely overkill, especially for a new diver? I don't mind spending the money if it's something great, and useful, and will last a long time, but it just kind of seems a little much.

Same Reg ($405), Same BC ($450), "Entry Computer" ($300).... That's $1150 there... Typing it out the Sol seems to make less and less since, just thought I'd check with you guys though. Thanks!

If I was going to spend $1200 on a dive computer it would be on a Shearwater Pursuit which is upgradeable, compatible with any mix including trimix, and will even work with a CCR.

If I was going to blow $405 on a BC it would be on something useful for all types of diving and upgradeable like a BP/W from edge/hog or DSS.

If I was going to buy a regulator it most certainly WOULD be a scubapro, but I dive cold water so it would be a mk17/S600 but for warm water the mk25 is a good option.

Get any computer you like, but if your gonna spend that much money get something worth that much money...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom