Is this entirely overkill?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuds,

The vast majority of divers are served very well by computers cost 1/3 of that price. Be sure it's nitrox capable and put some thought into which mounting format you want. Integration in any form is something you can do without.

The regulator has a very good reputation.

I can't speak to the ?BC. However I am not a big fan of integrated alternate second/ inflaters. More thoughts here.

Pete

If I was going to spend $1200 on a dive computer it would be on a Shearwater Pursuit which is upgradeable, compatible with any mix including trimix, and will even work with a CCR.

If I was going to blow $405 on a BC it would be on something useful for all types of diving and upgradeable like a BP/W from edge/hog or DSS.

If I was going to buy a regulator it most certainly WOULD be a scubapro, but I dive cold water so it would be a mk17/S600 but for warm water the mk25 is a good option.

Get any computer you like, but if your gonna spend that much money get something worth that much money...

Thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.... As far as the BP/W I think I'd like to get into teaching eventually, and I know the places here want you to have standard gear, and what they sell, so.....

I can't speak to the ?BC. However I am not a big fan of integrated alternate second/ inflaters. More thoughts here.

Pete

I'm not sold on the AIR2 either, it's by no means a requirement... Plus without it, I can take 70 bucks off the BC and put it towards an octo, so no worries there. Thanks for all the good advice!

Gear can last you a "lifetime" so it is an investment in many ways. However on entry it is hard to know what you will want, feel comfortable with and such. What "John" likes "Joe" does not....... But both are valid setups likely.

Try more for entry level costs to assess what is best for you. A decent BC, a decent reg system. A computer I recommend for students and friends would be either a wrist non-air integrated computer with otherwise an analog SPG, depth gauge and compass console. The wrist computer can always be a back-up in the future when you go to an air integrated / wireless setup.

I went whole hog 15+ years ago and got an Oceanic Data ProPlus air integrated computer which is still my primary computer for travel diving. I use much simpler gear most of the time for pool and OW classes. That is with the exception of my Oceanic HUD Datamask which I LOVE. But I got a staff pricing deal from my dive center - below cost.

KISS principle is my thought for the early days. You can get a good long lasting BC, Reg system and computer for under $1500 from you LDS.

With that said - $1650 is a great price and the stuiff will last a long time - IF you like the setup. That is the big IF.

I also do not like an Air2 AAS system. One less hose but lots more hassle if you ever have to share air. We used to have them for all our students and all instructors hated them - for years. Once they had to be replaced we went to the standard Octopus AAS kind of system.

So I went to my LDS, and they have a deal... Buy a SP Galileo Sol ($1200) and a Air2 BC ($450) get a free Mk25/S600 ($405) reg... Brings you to a grand total of $1650...
This is an attractive total price for what you are getting.
Is that computer entirely overkill, especially for a new diver?
Yes. But, it is also something you can nonetheless use as a new diver, and continue to use as an experienced diver. I would personally not buy the Sol, but many users (on SB, and locally) sing the praises of the unit, and I have heard very little negative commentary.
spectrum:
The vast majority of divers are served very well by computers cost 1/3 of that price. Be sure it's nitrox capable and put some thought into which mounting format you want. Integration in any form is something you can do without. ... The regulator has a very good reputation. ... I can't speak to the ?BC. However I am not a big fan of integrated alternate second/ inflaters.
Very well said. I am not a big fan of packages. I don't think that new divers should invest in a computer as their first purchase - a good exposure suit, and a good reg, and a good BCD are better investments. But, the computer is a good one, albeit probably more useful for a diver with more experience, the regulator (presuming it is not a titanium) is a good one, and the package price is not out of line.

Take a quick look at the, "What did you buy that you regret?" thread. Air2s feature prominently there.

I'm with the folks who think the package deals are often dubious. They're a way to sell you something that's way more expensive than you want or need, by making it seem like you're getting something for nothing. I haven't looked at a Galileo Sol, but before you invest in one, make sure you get to play with it. Make sure you like the display size, and the way the information is organized on the screen. Make sure you like the menus and navigating through them (I have found most of the computers I've used to be significantly less than intuitive -- and remember, narcosis will affect your ability to remember sequences, when you are underwater.) Make sure you like how to access the backlighting. And finally, make sure Tobin makes a boot for it :)

The MK25/S600 regulator setup is as good as it gets. People can argue the specific merits of high ends regs, but there is no question that that is one of them. They have a reputation for being less than ideal for very cold water, although I have dived mine down into the low 40's with no issues.

Realize that, if you become an avid diver, there is a good likelihood that you will a) replace some or all of what you originally bought, and b) will end up owning more than one set of gear, especially if you teach. (You will not want to take your good ocean diving stuff into heavily chlorinated swimming pools!) So, even if you later decide the BC you originally buy is a piece of junk, you can use it for teaching :D

Thanks, that's pretty much exactly what I was looking for.... As far as the BP/W I think I'd like to get into teaching eventually, and I know the places here want you to have standard gear, and what they sell, so.....

Every shop you work at, be it as an employee, a dive master or an instructor, is going to want you to wear the same gear that the shop sells. What the leaders wear is what the students want to wear. It's all marketing!

When the time comes and you want to do instructing, the shop will cut you a great deal on new gear to get your new "image" so don't place so much of your decision on that.

Back
Top Bottom