Is this flight itinerary to Sorong ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How are people booking domestic flights in Indonesia, specifically, CGK-SOQ? Websites? Local agents?
I booked flights directly on Garuda's website, no problem. I believe our liveaboard offered to take care of domestic flights if you wanted but I don't think anyone on our boat took advantage of that. They did offer tips on the itineraries available when people asked.

Hahaha because I’m a lazy traveller. I don’t like transferring so many times. I can get to HK direct on Air Canada and Cathay Pacific.

Toronto-NY/Paris-Singapore-Jakarta vs. Toronto-HK-Jakarta

I can also do Toronto-Taipei-Jakarta or Toronto-Incheon-Jakarta

BUT I can do 2 economy tickets on points on Air Canada Toronto-HK. :eyebrow: So I only have to pay for HK to Sorong.

FYI. There is a nonstop flight New York - Singapore & then a puddle jumper from Singapore to Jakarta, but you are right that still ends up with 2 stops between Toronto & Jakarta and you won’t be able to visit your friend in Hong Kong. However, that gets you to Jakarta 8:25am, plenty of time to rest.

Special Offers from USA

Last edited:
It's my 2nd rodeo lol!

This was exactly what I was trying to avoid...wasting days...but it might be the only option. If I stay one night in HK, and then stay one night in Sorong...then 2 extra days...oh well.

Unfortunately, it seems like the only direct flight from Jakarta to Sorong on Garuda arrives at 6:35am - what an awkward time - too early to check in to a hotel.

We went thru Singapore. Spent a few hours in Singapore. Took advantage of the free city tour prior to boarding for Jakarta on Garuda air. Spent one night at FM7 hotel near airport. Nice hotel with restaurant so no need to go out. Hotel will pick up at airport. Allow time for traffic going anywhere in Jakarta. Hotel have day room rates for those not wanting to spend the night. It is on their website. From Jakarta to Sorong, we flew on Batik Air. .

FYI. There is a nonstop flight New York - Singapore & then a puddle jumper from Singapore to Jakarta, but you are right that still ends up with 2 stops between Toronto & Jakarta and you won’t be able to visit your friend in Hong Kong. However, that gets you to Jakarta 8:25am, plenty of time to rest.

Special Offers from USA

The Singapore flights are tempting, going direct to Singapore then to Jakarta, Bali, etc. If not for wanting to layover in HK and using my Air Canada points, it would definitely be an option!

32kg of check bag + FREE extra allowance of 23kg(sport equipment) all the way from HKG to SOQ by GA. I don't think any airlines in Indonesia can match such a generous offer.

I only have 100 minutes for a transfer in Jakarta, according to Garuda I only need 90. Tight but I won't be starting with a liveaboard.

@Dogbowl

I did the North America to Sorong run in October last year. SFO to NRT to CGK to SOQ. CGK to SOQ was an Indonesian non-stop.....we deplaned in Manado just to get back on again!

You know I’m a liveaboard addict....

My personal rule is to have AT LEAST 3 hours for an online connection (one ticket) if it is an international connection in a first or second world country. In my case, this was Narita. I bought a separate ticket from Jakarta for Sorong and I opted for a 5-6 hour cushion. After my recent gallivanting in the Philippines, I can tell you that is not a crazy offline connection time to consider in a developing or third world country. I did not want a delay in one manner to domino effect the rest of my flights. I arrived in Sorong with extra time which was purposeful. If anything went wrong and I got any of the next flights out with that carrier which may only be 1X per day, I would not miss my liveaboard. Some travel insurance may pay for you to ensure you get on and will pay expenses to fly another flight but I wanted to be proactive. Yes, Sorong is So Wrong. There is not much to do. It’s a lot of traveling and money spent to stress and possibly miss the boat. Half a day’s delay where the boat waits for you in the harbor is doable but for the other guests it’s pretty crappy and why stress yourself about it, right? :)

I opted to go Batik Air business class for Jakarta to Sorong which was excellent. I booked that on Nusatrip.com since I can’t book direct with a US a credit card. When I flew Garuda after Sorong, I booked direct. The extra sports baggage allowance with Garuda is nice but it isn’t enough to have me only fly them. I booked early enough and got business with Batik for less than $40 difference and it came with 40kg baggage. To have to pay for any baggage that I needed (23kg-I fit all my dive and personal gear into one checked bag) that is not included is negligible in Southeast Asia. I went with the airline that had the most convenient flight times.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have Q’s!

In lieu of 5 or 6 hour layover in Taiwan, we now book a 12+ hour layover - WHAT?!?!? - so we can go to a hotel, have a sleep in a real bed, and a real breakfast. It goes a long way to lessening the jet lag.

One ticket - no need to pick up baggage.

- Bill & Emily

In lieu of 5 or 6 hour layover in Taiwan, we now book a 12+ hour layover - WHAT?!?!? - so we can go to a hotel, have a sleep in a real bed, and a real breakfast. It goes a long way to lessening the jet lag.

One ticket - no need to pick up baggage.

- Bill & Emily

I've had long layovers before like this on one ticket. You may want to double check whether you need to pick up baggage or not. Both times that I had this, they wanted me to pick up baggage and re-check it in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom