Is this good gear/a good deal?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree with what others have said here, shop around, plan for the future, try out stuff as much as you can. It looks like you are in the Alabama area. If you went to Hunstville, go about 15 miles south to Decatur and stop in at Phil Ellis's shop Discount Scuba Gear - Scuba Equipment Online - Discount Scuba Equipment.

He's very active with on line sales both here and The Deco Stop and also has a nice brick & mortar shop. I've done a small amount of business with him(very pleased w/ results) and visited the shop when I was in the area.

John

I went down to sdi scuba in huntsville al, and made out "dream" equipment package, with 10 percentt off the retail price
You've gotten lots of comments on the setup. My $0.02. Good for you for working through your LDS to get started. The equipment package is not BAD by any means. SB folks do NOT represent a cross-section of the entire scuba world, and you are more likely to get suggestions favoring BP/W, and non-AI, wrist-mounted computers. (I agree with both suggestions, BTW, but you have said those items are not changing.) The total price is not BAD, and the individual prices (for the BC, for example) are not too far off the online discount prices. Bob and others have suggested you do a little more price investigation before handing over the credit card which is always useful in negotiating the best deal. What would be helpful to others would be a summary of the thinking that led you to this package. The danger of providing it, of course, is that some might use it as a basis to 'attack' the choices. But, I would just like to better understand the thought processes that new divers use in gear selection, not to criticize but just to learn.

Sorry, forgot to post why I chose everything. lol @ me

BCD: Comfort, fits real well, and was weight integrated, with a back inflate.

Reg and Octo: not my choice. we (me and my dad) mentioned regs and the shop guy grabbed the at400, and when we got a quote, added the gyro.

Computer: looks, price, and the fact it shows which factor (air or ndl) limits you.

Bag: free with all aeris gear

Nitrox: The shop offers a 200 us off an AOW class with a package, which we were already planning on with another shop, so he offered Nitrox.

Type of diving: Moderate depth (max 85, 100 with qualified DM), warm water, fresh and salt water, nitrox (when certified). Mostly off shore, with often boat dives logged interspersed. Ive got to redo my cert (dad had a heart attack during our OW Dives,[he's fine now, stint went bad] so the instructor is letting us log some pool time with him beforehand.) So Ill have a lot of time to work on buoyancy and setup. I plan on going into tec diving later on, but not only am I not old enough, but it'll take a long time to get the requisite dives in.

I am going to shop around more, as soon as I remember Im going to see what ST would quote on that package. I pretty much have to, because the money won't be here for a while, so it's not like this is an impulse buy.

thanks for all the suggestions,
jimmy

Sorry, forgot to post why I chose everything. lol @ me
And, thanks for sharing the thinking that was involved in your selection. I tend to view buying gear the same way I view buying computers. There are some good general choices that others can recommend, but you can go crazy agonizing over a lot of stuff, that ultimately doesn't make a difference. You can always find someone who will tell you that you could have saved a little money with X retailer, or gotten better value with Y brand. But, the important thing is to spend a reasonable amount of time to gather information, as many here have suggested, then take the plunge and decide, with use, what YOU prefer, what YOU like or dislike.

okay, I went down to Dive Sports (the shop guiles59shop mentioned) and played with the gear there. I now hate all other gear. We bought a Oceanic G3 Reg, at a price I can't tell you about(wink wink) and plan on a 599 transpac 2, gyro octo, pro plus 2 navcon computer (compass+QD), and if I can do any convincing, a henderson hyperstretch 5mil wetsuit. Comes to about 1600 without suit.

the bc fits amazingly, the reg is so easy to breathe, I couldn't tell it was there. the computer is a bigger memory atmos ai, also has a bigger screen, and the suit fits perfect.

As long as you're happy with your gear and what you paid for it you didn't do badly at all. I think you'll be happy with all of it. We all have different tastes in gear. It doesn't really mean that any piece of gear is better than another. It all just fits differently. The Pro Plus 2 is a great computer (I used to have one). I loved mine. I got rid of it for a non air integrated, wrist mount computer. It's what fit my diving best.
Good luck and enjoy it. Now go diving.

Shane

I have an almost new (three dives ) atmos ai with compas and quick release for $500
P.M. me for my e-mailView attachment my gear.doc
Thanks ! Andy

Actually, all we've got is a reg a piece.

I've worn lots of wetsuits over the years....from old 3/4 beavertails and johns to the ones I have now: Henderson Hyperstretch. I have a 3 mil and a 7 mil. These things are so comfortable, so easy to don/doff....once you wear a Hyperstretch you'll be hard pressed to put on anything else.

St. Jimmy,

Congrats on the purchase of your first set up. Now make sure you use it and use it often. You will identify the limitations and the changes you want to make in the future. We all are different and we dive differently. Just make sure you don't let any dust settle on your gear. Enjoy diving with your father, you are lucky to be able to share a wonderful sport with some you are close with.

Bus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom