Is this nitrogen narcosis?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zixzax

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all.
I did two dives today. Both have exceeded NDL according to my computer. (high conservatism) Check these snapshots. The red part indicates deco...
Screenshot_20190427_174956.jpg

Screenshot_20190427_175023.jpg

After the dives I was very hungry and had a big meal in a restaurant nearby. On my way home I felt sleepy when driving. A bit like drunk. I had a sleep for about 90 minutes when I reached home. Getting better now but still a little bit dizzy in my head.
Is this nitrogen narcosis? Does it have anything to do with the meal? All advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Diving aggressively and doing repetitive deco dives is stressful for your body. Don't kid yourself, even if you were not that active underwater and not working hard and not cold, the decompression stress is there.

If you are feeling excessively tired, then you might take that as a warning to back off a little and come up earlier or come up slower. If you are confusing post-dive fatigue with N2 narcosis, then you might want to back off the aggressive diving and take another more advanced dive course that allows you to review these important topics and would clarify the difference between narcosis and decompression sickness.

If you really mean nitrogen narcosis, then No, not a chance. It happens during a dive, at depth, not after the dive.
If, however, you mean decompression sickness, then Yes, maybe, post-dive tiredness is a symptom.
If you were doing planned decompression dives, I sincerely hope you are not confused about the difference between nitrogen narcosis and decompression sickness.

If you really mean nitrogen narcosis, then No, not a chance. It happens during a dive, at depth, not after the dive.
This.

Quite often (at least for us rec divers), the cure against nark is ascending just a few meters. More often than not, the mental fog clears noticeably, and you're able to think again. Your brain isn't filled with cold molasses any more.

But kudos for being aware of the risk of narcosis and caring about it. Narcosis -- insidious and subtle

I predict OP is gonna get loved tenderly in this thread.
Could be. Profile showing 0-24 dives, and chosen forum is New Dives and Those Considering Diving.
He's got no business going into deco during the dive, even if it clears.

But his computer was set to high conservatism, so it's all good. :wink:
He doesn't say what his computer is, so that information is not particularity helpful.
What is the point of setting the computer on high conservatism and then ignoring it?

X2 on posts above. A few more things:

- It’s a good idea to listen to your computer. Without deco training, it’s not a great idea (putting it mildly) to intentionally break your NDL. Monitor your bottom time and ascent rate. On the way up, conduct an adequate safety stop.

- On post dive fatigue...you’re overdoing it, as your computer log and body are telling you. Consider follow-up training, to include AOW and Nitrox.

Diving Nitrox, I have zero post-dive fatigue. Without it, even doing what I was supposed to do, I was extremely tired after dives. With Nitrox and adhering to my dive plan(s), I can do four dives in a day, pack up, and be wide awake for the two hour drive home.

-“Plan your dive and dive your plan.” Don’t set your computer to the most conservative setting if you have no intention of following it. It’s not a useful tool if you don’t use it properly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom