Is this ok?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buddhasummer

Down under...
ScubaBoard Supporter
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I have some O light 21700 batteries but they will not work with my charger as they have a black collar on positive so the metal head is recessed so battery charger is unable to contact. I've removed the plastic collar. Is this bad for any reason?

Thank you

IMG_3871.jpeg

IMG_3870.jpeg

IMG_3872.jpeg

meh. it'll be fine.

since when did futzing with an electrically charged power source ever cause any problems?

I guess we will find out. I assume it’s there for a reason but no idea what that may be. Most of my chargers have a little button on the + side that I think would get past the collar. Lately I’ve only been using battery’s with a charge port and use the orca DC 710 for the 21700 batteries for the ones w/o the port.

It's purpose is to make sure there will not be electrical contact if the battery is installed backward. Now you will have to ensure it is not installed backward the old fashioned way. As long as you do that, everything will be fine.

I guess we will find out. I assume it’s there for a reason but no idea what that may be. Most of my chargers have a little button on the + side that I think would get past the collar. Lately I’ve only been using battery’s with a charge port and use the orca DC 710 for the 21700 batteries for the ones w/o the port.
Yes, my original charger had a small button but I bought latest version of sane brand charger as it uses USB-C cable, trying to standardise, but it does not have such a button.

New:
IMG_3854.jpeg

Old:
IMG_3853.jpeg

Well I would just use the old charger until I found a newer one but I get the attempt at standardization.

Yes, the one without the button is the newer one. Not sure I can live with a battery that has had its collar removed🤦‍♂️😂

The charger I bought from Amazon so was considering returning it.

But of course now I have a butchered battery, one old charger and one new.

Looks like I'll just buy some orca torch 21700 batteries which are USB-C direct charge and return to Amazon the new charger.

I'm a bit anti orca torch though.

I'm really good at wasting money, it's my skill.

First world problems🙇

Back
Top Bottom